+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Onions

Onions

Has anyone had any experience with stalls or very sporadic weight loss after eating onions on protocol? I'm towards the end of P2 (D43) and I've been eating a lot of onions. I noticed that my weight loss is very sporadic - I'll lose .5 one day, go up .2 the next and then lose .3 the next. I can't think of anything else that could be causing this except the onions. I'm going to stay away from them for awhile to see if this changes.

I've been making white onions now for the last two weeks for my wife-to-be and she's not really had any problems thus far. We are sticking to 100g of onions, however. Don't know if you are getting over that amount as far as quantity of onions or not.

I've been measuring out a cup of onions. I don't really know what else it could be.

Adding a lot of salt to them?

No not at all....just a small amount. Tomorrow morning will be the test...no onions for me today.

Odd. Maybe you just have onion aversion. Good luck.

The sugars in the onions could be carmelizing and causing issues. I didn't do well on protocol when eating carmelized onions.

You're probably right - I'm using the sweet vidalia onions and letting them break down to caramelization. No more onions for me. Thanks Linda!

What I make for my wife-to-be gets the onions to cooked but not to caramelized. As stated before, I also use White Onions and not Vidalia. Don't know if that has anything to do with it.

For what it's worth, here's what I do:

100g of white onion (pieces separated...i.e., not still stuck together)
    Sprinkle on some cayenne, paprika, and garlic powder
    10-12 good grinds of fresh cracked black pepper
    Very small pinch of kosher salt
    1/3 cup of water

Put all into a microwavable safe dish and cover (I usually use a small Pyrex dish and some Saran Wrap). Nuke for 6-7 minutes (depending upon microwave power). Should be a small amount of liquid available that's able to make a "paste" with the other dry spices. Spoon onto plate and spoon "paste" on top for extra flavoring.

In the past two weeks, she's had zero problems with his preparation method, but as stated before, it could just be that the onions are being overcooked and more sweetness is being brought out.

Hi Jon...how nice to see you again. Are you and Heather both back on protocol or are you the chef this time around? How are things going for the two of you? Love your onion recipe,since I am a big onion lover.

+ Reply to Thread