Thread: Coconut Flour

Coconut Flour

Quote Originally Posted by Linda View Post
    Coconut Tortillas

Servings: 1 tortilla
    Preparation Time: 2 minutes

1 tablespoon coconut flour
    1/16 teaspoon baking powder
    2 egg whites (or, 3 tablespoons egg whites)
    2 tablespoons water or coconut milk*
    coconut oil/butter
    Mix the coconut flour and baking powder with the water (or milk) and egg whites. Whisk or blend until all lumps disappear (I usually mix, then wait a couple of minutes and mix again).

Pour all the batter on a heated pan greased with coconut oil or butter (grease well). Pour batter in center of pan. Tilt the pan around to spread the batter into a large circle, almost covering the entire bottom of the pan.

Be very careful with this part: wait until the edges are brown on the side of the tortilla, or carefully circle spatula around the bottom of tortilla until safe to flip. Once safe, flip the tortilla and cook for about 30 seconds on the other side.
    YES! It IS OK to have coconut flour in P3!!!

I was pretty sure I saw this recipe in the P3 section that used it on here, but couldn't find it at first.

I ate it a lot after my first round in 2012, because I was a vegetarian then and had to find good lean protein-y things. It worked really well for me then. I'm not a vegetarian anymore, because I got really sick and realized I couldn't eat even more types of foods, so I had to quit for health reasons. If I didn't quit I would only be able to eat, like apples and coconut, literally. Ha! I can't have any grains, period, because of immune and inflammation issues and have a hard time with nuts more than a small handful and eating them more than one day in a row, makes me really depressed. It's weird.

Anyway, tangent. Sorry.

Needless to say, I ate so much coconut flour I got sick of it! haha! but it's been two years and it was started to sound good again, haha! but I wanted to check to be safe!

When in P3 can I add it in? The second week? My protein days start next Thursday or Friday, and I can't WAIT for lots of chicken! haha! I do love it. I can't believe I ever was a vegetarian! haha! I mean I always have loved it. It was because I loved animals, that I became a vegetarian, not because I disliked meat. I still do love animals, and when I had to give up being a veggie, I felt really guilty. But I knew I needed to do something drastic for my health.

Now when my sister says, she hates hawks because they kill other birds, I say, "Well, we can't ALL be vegetarians, some of us have to eat meat or we'll get sick or starve." (My sister's a vegetarian for the most part, haha!)

Anyway, another tangent...Sorry guys for the rambling nonsense! I hope maybe I've provided some amusement!

You can add it in the third week of Phase 3. You are welcome to ramble any time you wish!

SusieD.
    JJ,

Thanks for the new recipe! I'm a Texas native and wondered if I could ever enjoy tortillas (guilt free) again. My favorite morning treat used to be breakfast tacos so THANK YOU. I'll check out your recipe when permitted. By the way, where do you purchase your coconut flour?

Sue

You can add it in the third week of Phase 3. You are welcome to ramble any time you wish!
    haha! thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SusieD. View Post
    JJ,

Thanks for the new recipe! I'm a Texas native and wondered if I could ever enjoy tortillas (guilt free) again. My favorite morning treat used to be breakfast tacos so THANK YOU. I'll check out your recipe when permitted. By the way, where do you purchase your coconut flour?

Sue
    This recipe is actually Linda's. It was just lost in the abyss of all the P3 recipes! haha! I get mine at Sprouts or Central Market, although I think Kroger carries it too now! And of course there's always Amazon.

I use the Coconut Secret brand, but I think Bob's Red Mill has some too!

Is cocoa powder the same time frame?

+ Reply to Thread