+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Phase 3 - Spaghetti Squash

Phase 3 - Spaghetti Squash

Spaghetti squash is listed as a non-starchy vegetable but is it allowed in Phase 3? I've always used it in place of pasta but for some reason I always feel like I'm "cheating" when eating it.

Although some squash is considered starch this one does well for those on Phase 3. Give it a try no earlier than the end of the 2nd week of Phase 3.

Hate to admit to being bad, but we tried that Monday... Alton Brown Style, with just EVOO, Salt and Pepper to bake, made our own sauce and then simmered our steak in the sauce. Added the cooked squash "noodles" simmered and it was AWESOME. (I know, a few days early, but it was on the list )

Sauce: (All sugar free of course)
    Tomato Sauce
    Diced tomatoes
    Saute'd Onions, fresh garlic, red bell peppers and baby portabelo mushrooms in EVOO
    Oregano, Basil, Rosemary, Sage, parsley, crushed red pepper,sea salt, black pepper

Saute the veggies that are listed with saute'd list until nicely caramelized
    Pour in diced tomatoes, simmer a bit
    pour in tomato sauce and all spices, simmer for about 20 minutes.
    Grill steak portions, dice and add to sauce.
    Spoon out Spaghetti squash into sauce pan and pour simmered sauce out of the saute' pan over the spaghetti squash. Simmer just a little more.
    We had ours with a side of Grapefruit.
    Enough left overs for 2 more meals at least. (Or lunches)
    Last edited by insanebassman; 03-13-2013 at 10:06 AM. Reason: auto smiley hilarity
    - James
    Bass playing maniac and IT Monkey

James, if it didn't affect your weight then you are ready for the recipe. Keep in mind that women will be more sensitive than men. It sucks but it is the truth.

It did not affect me, and Crystal is staying steady as well. She is more solid at LDW than I am! That is what I get for mutant style losses
    - James

Thanks for the recipe James - it sounds fantastic! I've had spaghetti squash with a simple olive oil/garlic/parmesan cheese sauce, a pesto sauce and a plain marinara. I loved them all! I grew up in an all-Italian family so pasta was almost a daily staple growing up. It's been very hard to give up for me but pasta does bad things to my hips

Always happy to share!
    I put the full recipe here after posting the above part: http://community.yourhcg.com/showthread.php?t=6138

I think pasta is one of my Achilles heels as well. The discovery of Spaghetti squash, thanks to both my wife reading Hungry Girl and Alton Brown having it on a show, has made it easier. I am also experimenting with an egg wash on egg plant discs to make ravioli... and egg plant pan fried "chips" or "Crisps" .
    - James

Oh please share if you're successful! I just saw a recipe for "squash chips" that you bake in the oven - slice yellow or zucchini squash with a mandolin slicer, salt them and put them on a sprayed or olive oiled pan and bake them in a 200 degree oven for 3 hours. I can't wait to try these - I start P3 on Friday....come on Friday!!

If you like eggplant, I roast thin slices in the oven with evoo, salt, pepper and then use it in my long standing lasagna instead of noodles and it is awesome!!! I really do not miss the pasta at all anymore. I never have problems with spaghetti squash, yellow squash and zucchini early in P3, since I cannot eat peppers.

Have you guys tried Kale chips? I made some on Monday for a special presentation at our homeschooling co-op, but wasn't able to eat them (was weaning and not quite to P3 yet) but I went and got another batch of kale so I can make some now that I'm fully into P3.

There are tons of recipes out there, but from memory: basically you cut off the big vein from the kale and rip all the leaves into 2" pieces. In a large bowl, put 1-2 Tbsp olive oil, and a little salt (I also put some garlic and onion powder in - you can season your "chips" however you like... ranch dressing powder, chipotle, red pepper, etc.).
    make sure the spices are all incorporated into the oil. then toss kale in bowl with oil. It doesnt' take very much, but you do want to gently massage the leaves to make sure they all have a sheen of oil on them. Then lay them out in a single layer and bake them at 375 for about 7-15 minutes, watching carefully along the way. You may need to take some early crispers out as they get done, because they don't taste as good if you allow them to get brown.
    ~Jacqué. Committed to this process and attaining a healthier more active size.

+ Reply to Thread