+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: The journey where we find ourselves

Lightbulb The journey where we find ourselves

This will be our journal. I am the explorer leading this expedition of self discovery.
    We have found that we have been taken hostage, and a form of Stockholm syndrome has developed. We have a codependent love for our captors that is at the same time survival and destructive.

R1P2D3 I am down 1.2 from preload weight, an oddity to be certain.
    My spouse is up 1.4 from loading.

This journey has opened our eyes already. You see, we have found the enemy, and he is among us. Infiltrating our very homes and warping perception.
    We are surrounded by sugars, fats and oils. Our soap, our breads, our hair products, all have 2 or 3 different oils and sugars in them. Called nourishing ingredients. Growing up, I remember the Cavity Creeps and sugar. But now, what is the second ingredient on our toothpaste? Sorbitol! Sugar has invaded our dental hygiene products, no doubt a plan of infiltration by the Creeps.

Yes, we must dig through all this to find ourselves. We are assailed by a $1.5 trillion industry using psychological, sexual and deceptive tools to break our will. There are zero industries making money on building that will. Yes, there are life coaches and motivational speakers, but what are they doing? They are pointing us in a direction and building our momentum. They are not in our home, on a shelf, hanging on a wall. They are not a window into a perfect world calling themselves names like Bliss and Promises. They are not showing use the crunchy and juicy. No.

And we all thirst. You see, that hunger you think you feel, demanding immediate gratification? That is not hunger. Yes, there is a false hunger there, fed by the idiot box. The window into the asylum we call TV. But we do not hunger. Not like you think. You see, we have millions of years of evolution behind us that knows, sometimes we will have to wait for a meal. It knows that the kill takes patience, and the fire may be out when we get back to our cave. No, we are not natural hunger slaves. But we know, our bodies know, that dehydration will shut down muscles. It will slow us down and make the kill harder to make. It lowers IQ temporarily, causes inflammation and will kill us long before hunger will. That is the intense need you feel. Not food. So grab some water. Some tea. Hydrate and get in touch with your inner caveman. Yeah, I know, caveman is a misnomer but it is a visual we can gather around and understand.

And what of sugar? Are we ants? Bees? No. We are mammals. Recent studies have shown that refined sugars entering the blood stream cause invader like responses leading to inflammation. Our veins and arteries constrict and hold onto the solid lipids passing by. It is observed that this leads to plaque and cholesterol build up more than a bacon diet with a side of sausage.

So we hunt through these things, searching for will power and hearing the echo of the litany against food bounce through our skulls. "I must not munch..."

Yes, we have quite the awakening to attend, and it is our own. We will make this lipidous journey and, with each step, cut away slabs of lies we have taken in and stored on our skeleton. It is time to end this love affair with food and just be friends. You see, we need to see other people, and that main person we need to see is ourselves.
    Last edited by insanebassman; 01-21-2013 at 12:48 PM. Reason: info added, Counter corrected. Thanks Linda!
    - James
    Bass playing maniac and IT Monkey

Bassman, I want to correct your day counter. It is actually R1P2D3. The loading days are included in Phase 2.

Thanks for sharing your journey.
    Last edited by Sadie; 01-21-2013 at 12:06 PM.

I am absolutely thrilled to be on this part of my journey with you, Bassman. I love your insight and you are right on point. I have learned so much over the last two years, but obviously I have more to learn, since I am back for another round after the holidays. I look forward to getting closer to that goal to "end this love affair with food and just be friends". Great loss, by the way and how on earth did you not gain loading??? And +1.4 loading for your wife is not too shabby, either. I can't wait to share in your awakening.

Seems we have two guys who just lost weight during P2 loading this week. Weird!

I too like that "Let's just be friends" metaphor.
    And I DO want to be friends with F00d. I want to walk into a party and see F00d and not feel awkward, worried about who called who back last time and who else is seeing F00d. I don't want to be always aware of where F00d is in the room and trying to think of excuses to go be with F00d. I want to make plans in my life without being focused on where F00d is and whether F00d will be there or not. I don't want to feel like I am entitled to F00d if other people are having F00d; I don't want to always be worrying if I will get my "share" of F00d. I want to have a mutually beneficial relationship with F00d, where we enjoy each other's company, but F00d isn't the central drive of my existence, where I don't "deserve" more F00d when I've had a bad day or when I am celebrating or when I am spending time with loved ones. F00d will always be in my life, but I don't need F00d to control my life. F00d and I need to learn to co-habitat civilly.
    ~Jacqué. Committed to this process and attaining a healthier more active size.

Well, tonight I get to battle that very thing ladyAjax. You see, Food's friend, Beer is coming over with my guitarist tonight. Beer and I have an open relationship, and we occasionally dally with and without Food. It is a twisted thing, but has brought great fun. Unfortunately, Beer, like Food is clingy and I will have to say no once again. So early on for my first test hee hee hee.
    - James

IdahoGrands
    I sense a Ballad about Beer coming on....

You are strong, Bassman...you can win the battle with that clingy beer. I feel the same struggle with wine.

Jacque, you are so right about every holiday and celebration centering around food. How do we get to the place where we do not celebrate birthdays with gooey cake?? That is one of my goals for this year...not planning dessert everytime someone comes over for dinner and not using sweets as a reward. I do enjoy eating out and have gotten pretty good at making wise choices when out. And we tend to eat at places where it is easy to make those choices, and avoid the homemade rolls and bread and pasta and fried foods. Changes are slow coming for me, but with the support from others trying to make the same changes, I believe we will succeed. There is power in numbers

Thanks Nancy, and IdahoGrands, Psychostick (friends of mine) have a song called beer already so I just put that on :P

Well, I resisted. It sat there on my table and tempted me, so I brewed some green tea and toasted with that instead. Looks like a singer who also plays guitar is now on our line up... so good news all 'round.

As we wander on down this path of self discovery, fighting through the fat... R1P2D4 for us.
    I am down 0.2, and I blame sleep deprivation.
    The crazy lady on the other hand has dropped 2.4 pounds.

Yes, we have a breakthrough! That puts her a full pound under her pre-loading weight. So, we are both getting down with our chubby selves, just a little less of us to carry around.
    More to come!
    - James

As I listen to my body and my mind... I hear old familiar things popping up... Much older than my weight issue.

I feel I am going through some form of withdrawal. It has been almost 2 decades since I last felt it, but I do think I am experiencing weak, but persistent, withdrawal.
    Like that craving for a cigarette when I quit that habit. I will get these sneaking urges. A smell, a sight, even thirst triggers it. I will then start sweating for a few minutes then everything is back to normal. Then, for awhile, a headache. I am quite familiar with the throes of addiction, and I am now curious what I was addicted to. Was it the refined sugars?
    You see, I never drink to excess and do not use any drugs, even aspirin, unless I absolutely have to. So there had to have been something in my, admittedly poor, diet that my body is now in that love/hate phase of rejection. It is just odd.

Anyone else go through this?
    - James

That first week? All. The. Time.
    My first round I was horrified at some of the crazy thoughts I had about putting random food items in my mouth (most horribly, a dried up crust of PB&J I found under the couch *shudder*)
    After the first week it mellows out and just becomes an occasional thing. Like today when I was digging through the fast food bag to divvy it up for all the kids I was watching (have I mentioned my cooking boycott? LOL) and the fries were hot and fresh and steaming and ohhhhh... I felt like Homer Simpson!
    Sometimes it is surreal how your body seems to move of it's own volition, you will find yourself doing things (or almost doing them) that you had no conscious intent to do.
    And yes, it is odd.
    ~Jacqué. Committed to this process and attaining a healthier more active size.

+ Reply to Thread