+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Dysfunctional eating habits/thoughts about food.

Dysfunctional eating habits/thoughts about food.

I was wondering if others would share what kinds of unhealthy thoughts they have around food and how they have overcome them/learned new thoughts/habits.

For instance, I am noticing that I seem to have an "entitlement" attitude about food sometimes. Like I DESERVE to eat some things at some times.
    * If someone brings a snack to share, that I need to get MY DUE. In the past I have weirdly tried to "hoard" extra servings of things, like take one cupcake/cookie when people are watching, then hide another one or two when no-one notices "for later". I almost wonder if this has some root in feeling like I need to belong or be loved, and if someone is "giving" me something, then I must be loved and the more of it that I get, the more... well, I haven't quite worked out the logic of it yet, but clearly it is not a healthy or helpful thought. (perhaps it is just a hoarder mentality, because I will also load up on dumb "swag" like refrigerator magnets or pencils when they are offered, LOL)
    * I also feel like I have THE RIGHT to have a dessert after the kids have gone to sleep. (eating after 6pm doesn't seem to be a big issue for me), so I want to eat something, even if I am not hungry or don't have any specific cravings.

This is the psychological side to the protocol. Most humans use food as a reward at some time in their life. However, food is just food. The chemical reaction when we eat it has a profound psychological affect on us. Try to begin exchanging food for something else you enjoy when the desire to reward yourself hits. Examining how we FEEL and WHY we feel the way we do about things changes how we deal with it when the feelings hit in the future.

You must be my long lost sister...I do the same things! I even will eat things when my husband isn't watching as if the calories don't count if no one is watching I think for me it is similar to an addiction. A socially accepted addiction. Being aware is helpful for me.

I have found helping clients that there are triggers for emotional eating. Once you identify them and the source they lose their power over you.

Jacque, I seem to have substituted shopping for eating, sort of like Linda suggested. I love my new size and the fact that I can fit into normal clothes and now I have to slow down the spending. But it does keep me away from overeating most of the time.

Easy Nancy! Don't want you on Hoarders: Buried Alive

Banned
    Nancy I do the same. When I want to eat I go shopping! Fortunately I love Nordstrom Rack so the damages are minimal.

+ Reply to Thread