+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Low Carbs for life?

Low Carbs for life?

My philosophy of meals has always been that a good (inexpensive) carbohydrate fills you up and stretches the (expensive) meat so our grocery costs stay low, with as many veggies as I can stuff/sneak/push into us.
    I don't know HOW not to meal plan this way. Generally we eat a LOT of rice (5-7 nights a week) with occasional pasta or even more infrequently, potato. I'm planning to try quinoa as soon as we start P4 next week, if we like it, that would get moved into the rotation.

The last couple of weeks (on P3) have been an experimental cooking challenge for me, but I see how much more meat we are eating. (Well, honestly, not QUITE as much more meat as we would have been before, because we are also paying attention to portion size and listening to our bodies for "full" signals.) But the meals just always seem incomplete to me. A bite of meat just neeeeeds some rice in it. The spaghetti squash was fine to me with the meat marinara (Hubby was iffy on it), but I really did miss the garlic bread.

I have heard some post HCG'rs talking about "Paleo diet" which pretty much looks like a low carb life. I like many others have "been there, done that" with low carb eating on Atkins or others, and I know from experience that I am not able to eat that way long term.

I guess I'm wondering how all y'all veterans, who are firmly and permanently in maintenance, "meal plan"; what proportions/portions of meat/veggie/carbs you generally feed your families and is that different from what you eat yourselves?

My husband heard somewhere that we're NOT supposed to eat starch and protein in the same meal, like baked potatoes and salad for one meal, meatloaf and steamed veggies for another. I don't know if I buy that. Have you heard of this?

alaskanjessie
    I know during maintenance...before I was planning on doing another round and gained the weight back because I over indulged and probably drank a few too many mimosas and stopped exercising that I was able to eat carbs with in reason. I would give myself probably half of what I served up for my son and my hubby. Quinoa was the first carby thing I added in P4 and I loved it. I used it in place of rice most of the time. Used it in my stir-fry and all sorts of other stuff. I left the stir-fry sauce off of my son and my stir-fry (he doesn't care for it) but I loaded my hubby up on it.

So Jessie, did you reach your goal after your first round? And if you don't mind my asking, did you just stop paying attention to your day-in-day-out intake/output (the root cause for how most of us ended up overweight - and obviously something we're prone to).
    When/why did your attitude change?

Jacque, I love potatos and pasta and rice is probably my least favorite and I enjoy homemade yeast rolls. However, we do not eat carbs everyday or at every meal. Now it is just myself and my husband and I know that it is harder when you have a family to feed, but we regularly eat chicken and fish and occassional meat, fresh or frozen veggies and fruit. If we eat carbs, we try and have very small portions and eat them earlier in the day, like sprouted grain toast for breakfast or a small amount for lunch, but we try to avoid them at dinner. Both of us find that eating carbs for dinner will cause us to gain, so we just avoid them most of the time. After five rounds, I have had some time to make the changes slowly and get used to them and you definitely can get used to the new way of eating. For me, the thinner size and way I feel about myself is much more important than the food now, but everyone has to decide what works for them and what they are willing to do.

Quote Originally Posted by nancybaggot View Post
    After five rounds, I have had some time to make the changes slowly and get used to them and you definitely can get used to the new way of eating. For me, the thinner size and way I feel about myself is much more important than the food now, but everyone has to decide what works for them and what they are willing to do.
    Yeah, I think its the THIRTY YEARS of habit that is going to be hard to change my mindset, LOL
    Do you use primarily Stevia when you're making desserts or when a recipe calls for sugar now?

Yes, stevia. My husband is the sweet craver and I find that the brownie mug cake is a winner occassionally and I make the banana bread and pumpkin bread and muffins, but always use stevia for the sweetner. Havent even made the chocolate delights recently because I do believe that once you detox and get all the cravings out of your system, it is probably better not to start adding in back in. Any sweetner can set off the cravings if you are prone to them, se we find it is best to limit them altogether. I totally understand about the 30 years of habits and it is like I am having to learn to cook all over again, but I figure we are worth it. You can do it, just make small changes and see how it goes.

Oh yeah Jacque! Those habits will change but those are the challenges we all now face. It becames our focus in maintenance and is easier than you might think. You know it takes about 3 weeks to start a new habit. Then it takes on a life of it's own.

Hubby is a dessert E.V.E.R.Y. night guy. (When I was growing up dessert was a once in a while thing (sometimes 1x/week, sometimes 2x/month), but it is probably not surprising how easily I became an every night dessert person after we got married)

Because he has been so restricted for the last few months, Hubby is pretty resistant at the moment to any suggestion that he might need to make any changes going forward. - specifically that we might need to use Stevia as our common/main sweetener going forward, or that perHAPS he might choose a different breakfast than cold cereal with soy milk (HIS thirty year habit), or GASP that perhaps dessert EVERY night might not be the healthiest pattern for us to be passing on to our children...

He does want to cut some carbs out (I think I mentioned somewhere that he would like to stop eating a carb with meat meals). And he had previous to HCG been reducing his portion sizes in general for both lunch and dinner. He was not significantly (in my opinion) overweight, he was about 40lbs over his ideal, and has now lost 30lbs with HCG. He doesn't intend to do another round, just plans to generally eat better ... whatever that means to him exactly.

But woe to me if I suggest any changes at this point because he will shoot them down! But that's okay since I cook 90% of his food, so what he doesn't know won't annoy me LOL

My Dad was that way...not "what's for dinner?", but "what's for dessert ?" Have you tried the chocolate delights?? That is probably a tough one, but if your hubby does any research on how bad white sugar is and how much it contributes to the obesity problems in this country, maybe he would feel differently about desserts so often. He did a round of HCG...that means he must be open to "new ideas". I have also read and heard from some nutrition experts about not combining proteins and carbs in the same meal and there is probably something to that as well. But sugar without a doubt is not healthy for us. But each of us has to decide what we can live with and what we can't and it is a very individual decision. Not always easy, my friend.

+ Reply to Thread