+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Phase 4 Clients

The old saying "Eat breakfast like a king, lunch like a queen and dinner like a pauper" really works for me. I have never been a big breakfast eater and not a fan of breakfast foods, but it really doesn't have to be eggs and cereal. I think the point is the timing in the day and not eating a heavy, big meal too late in the day. I find myself eating yogurt and fruit or the protein shake for dinner and eating more of what I would call a "dinner" meal at lunch. Now, since it only my husband any myself, I can do that. I know it is not as practical for those of you who have children to feed. My husband eats his big meal at lunch as well, so we just sort of "snack" at dinnertime. Parties and especially this time of the year are a real challenge, so we just adjust for those times.

I work M-Th from 4:00 til 7:30 and so I have dinner at 3:00 or 3:30. Then maybe a cup of tea or apple or CD after I teach. I think it really helps not to eat late. BUT, I have a friend who did HCG and she DOES eat late and it still works for her. I heard from Dr. Oz or somewhere that it is the total calories in 24 hours that really matters. But, for me, early dinner helps. It is usually light because I always feel like I just ate lunch.
    The other 3 days a week, I eat at 5:00 or 5:30. Real "senior citizen" schedule here, but I like it!

Good to know Debra! This is good info for those who do not work the conventional 8 to 5!

So yesterday I finally made it to LDW since November 2nd. Gradually had gained a bit, then Thanksgiving hit and I overate for two days and finally got in range last weekend and yesterday, LDW. SOOOOO....I had 1/2 of a buckeye and bite of 7 layer bar yesterday and ..... up 1.2.
    Needless to say, I know what caused it and I will save my "splurging" for all in one day and then be done with it. Having "just a bite" on occasion doesn't work.
    Or, wait, should I just eat right now until the 1.2 comes back off then try to gradually add real sugar in so my body "gets used to it?" I don't expect to want real white sugar in my diet as a habit.
    Not sure. Linda? Should I just splurge on occasion and not worry about adding back foods that I won't regularly eat?
    I truly feel that if I start adding white flour and sugar, I will gain from it.
    Ideas?

I am starting to believe more and more, from everything that I read, that sugar and white flour are not good at all. Years ago, my mother-in-law had breast cancer and she cut out all sugar and white flour from her diet and went into remission for many years. I am trying to re-evaluate my eating habits and consider what, if any, nutrituonal value there is in the things I put into my mouth. Sweets, sugar, really have no value and are empty calories, so I personally think it is best to avoid them pretty much all together. Now with that being said, it is a process, completely changing the way we think and the way we eat. We have made tremendous changes this year and I don't expect to make the needed changes all at once. I was up two pounds today after eating cupcakes and chocolate covered raisins yesterday....they were yummy, but had little real nutritional value and I know if I continue to eat them regularly, I will probably continue to put weight back on. So I will not make it a habit and maybe one day, I will avoid them alltogether.

I don't see a reason to continually run from nor be scared of some food types. I'm not the type of person that's going to completely cut out sugar and flour from my diet, no matter how hard I try. I have a sweet tooth and I'm too much of a sandwich lover to give those up completely. However, I'm learning moderation. Sure, they may not have a ton of or any nutritional value, but that isn't going to stop me from enjoying once in a while (emphasis on "once in a while").

I got into this mess in the first place, not because of what I ate, but how much I ate. I'm not going to swing the pendulum entirely the other direction and avoid these foods. I'm sticking the pendulum in the middle. Moderation is my key word for 2012.
    Last edited by Sadie; 12-16-2011 at 11:24 AM.

So proud Jon!

I look at it this way. If there are people that can by eating fast food once in a while and not have problems with it, I can have more than a nibble of a sweet dessert and not feel like I'm going to explode on the scale the next morning. Again, the problem wasn't 100% the food I was eating. It was frequency and quantity. Those are what I'm working on.

Yes, Jon! I have a bit of an addiction, so I have to watch it or I will turn an occasional treat in to an ongoing habit, but I am right with you about moderation! I am working on that, too!
    Great post!

Moderation is definitely the key. However, the more I eat of certain things, like sweets over the past few weeks, the more I crave them and I never considered myself a sweet craver. I have eaten more sugar this last month than I have all year and suddenly I am craving it like crazy. Guess for me, I have to decide if I want to fight the cravings or stay away from the things that cause me to crave. I agree...I am not going to give up the things I love, but I am willing to adjust some of my recipes and "old family favorites" in favor of healthier options.

+ Reply to Thread