+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Best strategy for planning the next few months

Best strategy for planning the next few months

Is there a best recommendation for how long each round should be when you are ultimately looking to lose more than 100lbs.

For example, is it best to do as long of rounds as possible? Or are people more successful if they do several rounds shorter rounds? My husband strongly thinks that I should not do a 60 day round, he worries that I will be setting myself up for disappointment if I cannot make it that long. His suggestion is that I do 30 or 40 days. Added to that, he is thinking now that he will join me, and we would want to sync his start so that we would finish together. He wants to lose about 30lbs total, so he is thinking of doing a 30 day course.

I am 5 days into my first round, and feeling fine, I have experienced very little hunger, and that has been completely manageable. I am not even eating 100% of my daily allowance. (it sounds sort of... petty? to mention that I have skipped a breadstick or two and only eaten half of my fruit, LOL).

I find the many ways that food catches my attention fascinating, and I have definitely experienced some ... well "craving" is too strong of a word, but more a longing for different things (the marshmallow cookie my son ate this afternoon, the mashed potatoes my family ate for dinner) but no periods where I felt like I was not in control or was likely to "slip".

If my temperament bears on the decision, let me add that I am completely committed to this. I don't "hope I can do it" or believe that it it is a diet that I can do "in moderation". I have 2 friends who each lost over 90lbs doing this. I've read Pounds & Inches and the whole protocol makes sense to me from a biological standpoint (my undergraduate degree is in Biology). I have never been a yo-yo dieter, I have only ever dieted 1x in my life (low carb and working out w/a trainer 3x/week), and I was completely committed to that one as well, just ultimately decided that it wasn't something I could live with for the rest of my life. I am not prone to "cheating" - not to say that it is impossible, just not something I struggle with.
    But I also know that I don't want to be doing this over Thanksgiving, or even Christmas.

If I did a 40 day round, and I've counted correctly, I think I would be completely done with P2 & P3 on October 9th (My husbands birthday coincidentally). But I don't know how to proceed from there. 6 weeks later is 1 week before Thanksgiving. I have a bit of a knee-jerk reaction to the idea of starting a diet on January 1st because that is so overdone it's cliche, LOL.

I think this is great planning. I agree with your husband that 40-45 day rounds are as long as you should do since you will be doing a few of them. You need SIX weeks after P2 (3 weeks in P3 and 3 Weeks in P4) before you can start your second round - Is that October 9? It would be best to get the second round in before the holidays. You need to wait EIGHT weeks after the second round before starting again, so I think you'll be starting your third round in mid January. I did my first round in February and it really is a good time to do it - no problem with sunburn and fewer social events. Having said all that, you really don't have to plan rounds 2 and 3 until you get through round 1. It's going great for you, so see how it goes - you may feel like going longer when you reach 40 days, or you may be ready to stop before then. You don't have to decide now. Oh, and the food longings are perfectly normal - just wait until you start having food dreams, which are also common!

I agree with Barbara, I would take it a day at a time at the end of a course. You might find you want to go 1 week longer. Every person is different.

What does sunburn have to do with it??? LOL
    Thank you for the clarification, I thought I needed to do 3 weeks of low carb and then another 6 weeks of "rest".
    And I am giving myself permission to play it by ear as the end comes around.
    Mostly I am now trying to coordinate the start of my husbands round so we can end together.

Yesterday I SWEAR I was hallucinating the smell of the beans & rice that is served in this little taco place in my home town!!! LOL

I don't know where you live, but it's AUGUST. Most suntan lotions will hinder your losses and so will sunburn if you don't use lotion. Be careful!

My daughter did a 60 day round and did very well...lost 70 pounds. She has well over 100 pounds to lose. Now with that said, she has not been as successful getting into her second round. She has started several times and stopped. She was not as strict with any of the protocol as I would have liked her to be, but she is an adult and can make her own decisions. I agree with the advice given to see how you feel and go from there. My first round was 45 days and that was about all I could handle mentally. For me, more short rounds worked just as well from a weight loss standpoint and much easier for me to handle. It totally depends on what works for you. Good luck and how great that your husband is going to join you. My husband is finally doing his first round and I am in maintanence of my 5th and last round. Couldn't get him to join me any other time, but he is doing it now...go figure

LOL I guess I just so infrequently use sunblock I didn't even consider it! LOL
    Speaking of that, I guess I need to be cautious when I apply it to my kiddos though. So thanks for the reminder!
    How frustrating that he waited until you were done before he decided to try it. Although I guess I can understand the "well let's see if it rreeeeaaalllly works for you, and then maybe I'll give it a shot" mental space.
    Wow! OVER a pound a day average. And she did that with not being strict? Or is it that she has not been strict with her subsequent rounds.
    I do have a friend who lost quite a bit who is doing a followup round and berating me to be strict strict strict and then she went and ate some sunflower seeds and honey mustard dressing on her salad bar salad! So on maybe subsequent rounds people feel a little more... cocky? confident? attuned to how their bodies work?

The reality is that each round can be totally different...what worked for you the first time may or may not work the next time. It is a constant trial and error, but so worth finding what works for you and making the changes you need to lose and keep it off.

Well said Nancy. It is so true that your body can change dramatically how it responds from one round to another to the food options.

+ Reply to Thread