PDA

View Full Version : Greek Yogurt recommendations?

Sunflower
07-23-2013, 10:03 AM
Struggling to find Greek yogurt that isn't non-fat (they ALL have sugars in them!!). Does anyone have any recommendations? I bought the 2% Fage Greek Yogurt at Safeway because it was the only one I could find that didn't have sugar listed in the ingredients. It's not bad, but it tastes like I'm shotgunning plain sour cream (gag). I get by the taste by throwing raspberries in it and it's tolerable. It's my only dairy since I'm not drinking the whole milk so I'm hoping I can make this work.

tygereye
07-23-2013, 04:20 PM
I use Dannon OIKOS traditional greek yogurt... It is the only one I have been able to find (so far) that wasn't a 'low-fat' 'non-fat'... I also found one by stony field, that if I remember correctly was listed as a low fat, but I couldn't find a sugar added... I used that one once because I couldn't find the other one.

I had fruit, and liquid stevia (chocolate one is awesome!!) to mine to make it tolerable, because when I first tasted it I also thought it was sour cream...

Sunflower
07-23-2013, 05:36 PM
good to know i wasn't flying blind in the store. The 2% one is probably going to get me in trouble, but it didn't have sugar in the ingrediants, so i'm hoping i am okay. the only full fat one i could find was the same brand but it was a HUGE jug and i wasn't sure how much i would like this stuff so i played it safe and bought the smaller tub of it.

i ordered some vanilla liquid stevia drops from a vitamin store here in town 2 weeks ago and they finally showed up today - you'd be surprised how hard they are to find around here! i'm going to probably order them from the website that linda suggested in the future if we like these. i wanted to try them in coffee and a few other things before i bought another flavor - they are super expensive for such a small bottle, but it sounds like you don't need a whole lot of drops to make things sweet - that they are really sweet? i've never used the product so this will be a fun new one. :)

Sadie
07-23-2013, 08:28 PM
It might give you trouble so caution is warranted. Try just a little. If you don't gain you should be OK.
I use Greek Gods plain full fat. I add Chocolate Raspberry Stevia to it - OMG to DIE for.

Sunflower
07-23-2013, 08:56 PM
Chocolate would be SO awesome right now!! As it turns out, there is sugar in the yogurt...I didn't read the ingrediants well enough. I had about a half cup with fruit yesterday and still lost 0.3 lbs but it will be put into the back of my fridge (or in the trash) since I can't have it :( time to go shopping again!!!

Sadie
07-23-2013, 09:15 PM
If you didn't gain you MIGHT be ok.

Tiffany Reynolds Volkman
07-23-2013, 09:58 PM
Stevia seems like it is an expensive thing but it lasts so long because you use so few drops. I did the math once and it ended up being 4 cents per cup of tea. And it is worth every penny! :)

Sadie
07-24-2013, 08:40 AM
I agree. at $8 a bottle it really isn't that expensive. Anything that can make the protocol tasty without adding weight or interrupting the HCG doing it's job is a good thing.

Tiffany Reynolds Volkman
07-24-2013, 05:35 PM
That's better yet! It's $12 a bottle here!

Sunflower
07-24-2013, 07:21 PM
I think that's what we just spent - $12 - on the vanilla flavored one. But I had some in my coffee and it's really nice! Except that this is the first cup of coffee I've had in 39 days and I got the WORST case of the shakes - I couldn't type all my work emails for about 20 minutes I was so jittery :) I think I'm going to have to ease my way back into the coffee LOL

Sadie
07-24-2013, 08:33 PM
Why??? You are no longer addicted to the caffeine why not continue off coffee. You can have decaf teas instead.

Sunflower
07-25-2013, 09:27 AM
After what happened yesterday with the jitters, I'm completely in agreement Linda. Since I wouldn't be able to have coffee anyway when it come to baby time in November, I'm just going to stay off it. I can use my vanilla drops to make that lovely baked apple recipe I saw on the forum!! I'm going to stick to my green tea and lemon and water. I will admit I will probably indulge (well after this is over) on the occasional Diet Coke, but that will be kept to a minimum because I know how terrible it is for you. But sometimes you just want something fuzzy to drink!!!

I went grocery shopping yesterday and scoured the Greek yogurts again for everyone's suggestions. Dannon didn't have the full fat in ANY kind in my store but I did find the Greek Gods plain yogurt and even that had 5gm of sugar in it! I'm hoping its just a natural sugar (like eating fruits) and maybe that's the best we can do. The one in my fridge has 9gms of sugar per serving so I'm going to try to avoid throwing it away (I hate throwing good food away) and eating just a tiny bit with fruit over time. It didn't hurt me the first time so I'm hoping I can keep going with little to no damage. If I can finish it, I'll move to the Greek Gods brand because that was the lowest gms of sugar I could find in any of them.

This morning I'm happily enjoying my 3 egg white omelette with grilled chicken, tomatoes, and a half slice of cheddar cheese along side my trusty cup of green tea. I lost more weight yesterday - more than I'd prefer because I know for a fact that you can't lose 0.8lbs in a day on NO diet. I didn't eat as much yesterday as I normally do because things got crazy at work and I had pretty much run my fridge empty of food. I did make a GREAT lunch though of shrimp, onion, and a peanut butter sauce (1.5-2 tsp of organic peanut butter blended with some hot water). It sounds gross probably, but it was really tasty and I was FULL when I was finished.

Down a total of 18.2 lbs since the start of this diet. Only 3.1 lbs away from my next milestone. If this keeps up, the stretch goal I had of 140 lbs might not be as far fetched as I thought after R2. I haven't weighed 140 since 2006 when I did my Nutrisystem diet and lost about 25 lbs. The problem was I gained that all back plus another 25!!! Not this time!!!! The weight is coming off and STAYING off!! THANK YOU YourHCG!!!!!

Sadie
07-25-2013, 09:38 AM
If it is the plain full fat Greek Gods it will be fine. I wouldn't get used to losing while on maintenance. Unfortunately weight loss will slow then stop entirely.