PDA

View Full Version : P3 salsa

deathpixi
04-25-2013, 02:04 PM
Last day on drops! Know what I can't wait to do (in 3 days)... make some home made salsa, bake onions, tomato, garlic? in the oven then chop and add cilantro *drool.

Any other salsa suggestions? recipes?

Also, LINDA... I know not in the first week, but when would I be able to do corned beef and cabbage? I have this great idea to do the faux mashed potatoes with it... maybe slow cook the coliflower (SP?) with the cabbage and corned beef.

MichelleA
05-03-2013, 11:55 AM
Deathpixi - I really want to try your salsa receipe - How long do you bake everything in the oven for? I have some really over ripe tomatoes I would love to try and use up this weekend.

Last day on drops! Know what I can't wait to do (in 3 days)... make some home made salsa, bake onions, tomato, garlic? in the oven then chop and add cilantro *drool.

Any other salsa suggestions? recipes?

Also, LINDA... I know not in the first week, but when would I be able to do corned beef and cabbage? I have this great idea to do the faux mashed potatoes with it... maybe slow cook the coliflower (SP?) with the cabbage and corned beef.

deathpixi
05-03-2013, 02:35 PM
I was winging it lol, I baked the tomatoes onions and garlic 15 min then check it, maybe 10 min more. 375 seems to be the temperature I pick no clue why, probably an OCD thing. Baking the tomato really makes it sweet..... I'm thinking of trying to do home made ketchup =-) again no clue what I'm doing, just trial and error

MichelleA
05-03-2013, 07:04 PM
Works for me. I love to cook and try new things. I have even converted my husband into loving all veggies roasted. He is down from eating potatoes almost ever night to maybe twice a month.

Sadie
05-04-2013, 10:14 AM
I was winging it lol, I baked the tomatoes onions and garlic 15 min then check it, maybe 10 min more. 375 seems to be the temperature I pick no clue why, probably an OCD thing. Baking the tomato really makes it sweet..... I'm thinking of trying to do home made ketchup =-) again no clue what I'm doing, just trial and errorI look forward to hearing how it comes out for you!

Sadie
05-04-2013, 10:23 AM
Michelle, GOOD FOR YOU! I wish I could convert my husbands diet to more dark green vegetables. They are so good for you, He however, has never had a weight issue so it is purely for health benefits.
The most beneficial thing for those like us is they help fat move along out of your system instead of hanging around waiting to redeposit somewhere on your body.

LadyAjax
05-04-2013, 01:34 PM
I'm more of a pico-de-gallo girl myself. I do fresh plum tomatoes, onions and cilantro with a little garlic salt and pepper.
Great w/eggs, on chicken, in cheese-tilla tacos, etc.
Also one of the first things I look forward to in P3 :)

MichelleA
05-04-2013, 03:20 PM
Deathpixi - the salsa turned out great I add serrano peppers for heat since I like things spicey. I did have to run to the store so I put everything in the oven at around 225 and when I came back in a hour they were perfect.

LadyAjax - I also like pico de gallo so I will be trying it next. But since my tomatoes were really really ripe I thought the oven would work nice. With roasting everything it did turn out pretty sweet.

D3 of P3 still holding my wieght and look forward to adding more foods to my diet next week. Thank goodness my husband and I love veggies it makes cooking dinner much easier now that we have more choices.

deathpixi
05-05-2013, 10:03 AM
cheese-tilla tacos.... wha?

Sadie
05-05-2013, 11:32 AM
Yep deathpixi, check out the recipe in the P3 section.

deathpixi
05-06-2013, 09:26 PM
MMMM I just tried 2 baked tomatos, 2 baked jalapenos, sauteed onions, 2 uncooked tomatos, salt, and pepper all pureed together delicious, wish I had cilantro but still good. paired it with turkey breast.

gmurillo729
05-26-2013, 08:51 AM
Linda , when so talking with kristy in the past she mentioned a salsa she recommended from Cosco that would be good for phase 3 .. Do you know which one exactly it is they have several

Sadie
05-26-2013, 09:06 AM
Hmm, I don't know which one. I would guess it has onion, tomato, jalapeņo, cilantro and salt. no preservatives. It might be the Costco brand in the refrigerator section, try that - check the label. I will check with Kristy and let you know.

LadyAjax
05-26-2013, 09:17 AM
Go with a "Pico de Gallo" or "Fresh cut" type of salsa from the refrigerator section. Just look at the ingredients and if you recognize them as something you might put in your own homemade fresh salsa, then it's probably okay. I also look at the nutritional profile and if it is close to the same as for fresh tomatoes I don't worry about it. (2 Tablespoons of tomatoes have about 8 calories and 1.8g of carbohydrates.)

In my refrigerator right now I have "La Mexicana" Mild salsa. It has 10 calories and 1 gram of carbohydrate for 2 Tbsp.
The ingredients are:
Fresh Diced Tomatoes, Fresh Chopped Assorted Peppers, Fresh Diced Onions, Fresh Chopped Cilantro, Salt, Crushed Garlic, 2% or less of assorted spices, citric acid, sodium metabisulfite (as a preservative), ascorbic acid (vitamin C), potassium sorbate (as a preservative), sodium benzoate (as a preservative).

If you're worried, you could also just make your own fresh salsa with tomatoes, onions, cilantro, peppers and jalapenos.

Sadie
05-26-2013, 09:22 AM
I prefer you not eat anything with preservatives in them so making your own would be the best idea.

gmurillo729
05-26-2013, 06:47 PM
Ok thank you ... I will check the ingredients and make my own if anything

Sadie
05-28-2013, 10:18 AM
Sounds like a plan.
By the way, I did check with Kristy and said she does not have a recommend salsa. She feels as I do. You should make your own.

gmurillo729
05-28-2013, 09:05 PM
I made my own salsa Pico de Gallo going yo enjoy it with my omelette for breakfast ... I it always best homemade

Sadie
05-29-2013, 08:55 AM
Yea, enjoy it girl!