PDA

View Full Version : Post your favorite P4 recipes here

Sadie
11-18-2011, 10:09 AM
What are some of your favorite recipes?

nancybaggot
11-20-2011, 10:18 PM
Just made this one and it is wonderful, so had to share!! Enjoy!

Almond Flour Banana Chocolate Chip Bread

3 cups almond flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 cup coconut oil
1 T vanilla extract
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/4 cup sweetner or equvilent stevia
3 eggs, whisked
2 ripe bananas, mashed
1 cup dark chocolate chips
Mix flour, salt and soda in large bowl. In smaller bowl, mix sweetner, oil, eggs and vanilla. Stir in bananas and chocolate chips, then add wet to dry ingredients. Put in cake pan or loaf pan. Bake 350 degrees for 40-50 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean. Remove and cool.

Sadie
11-22-2011, 12:31 AM
This sounds wonderful!

nancybaggot
06-12-2012, 11:41 AM
Apple Cinnamon Oatmeal

1 cup steel cut oats 4 cups water
1 tsp nutmeg 2 T honey (I substituted a dropper or stevia)
1 tsp cinnamon 4 apples, cored and cubed

Put all ingredients in slow cooker and cook on low for 6 hours. Add 1 cup of chopped walnuts and pour into 8x8 pan and cool. Cut into 10 1/2 cup servings. Keeps in fridge for one week.

This is the recipe, but I just cooked in the crockpot and we ate it the next morning. I took some creative license with the original recipe.

Sadie
06-12-2012, 09:35 PM
Nice Nancy! I can't wait to try it sometime.

perez228
06-13-2012, 07:53 AM
Nancy - I tried this for breakfast this morning - it was delicious and filling!! Thanks for the recipe!

nancybaggot
06-13-2012, 05:23 PM
Glad you enjoyed it and have found a way to make them more palatable. They are growing on me, too :)

perez228
06-21-2012, 07:36 AM
Hi Nancy,

I tried making this last night (the banana bread) and had a little trouble (probably my fault). Should I be letting this cool in the pan before flipping it out? I tried to take it out of the pan while it was still warm and it just fell apart. I did test it before taking it out of the oven and the toothpick came out clean but the outside of the bread looked really brown (almost too brown) and the inside didn't seem done enough. I baked it for about 45 minutes - I was afraid to leave it in any longer because of the outside. I'm going to try again tonight - it smelled incredible! Any tips on getting this just right?

Mary

nancybaggot
06-21-2012, 10:36 AM
Not your fault, Mary. I find that it has to bake in my oven at least an hour to get it cooked through. It is incredible, but I have had to throw away uncooked parts of several until I found what worked. The toothpick came out clean with mine, too...odd. I do leave it in the pan to cool a bit and I have started putting some wax paper or parchment paper in the loaf pan to help with the sticking/falling apart. It is defiitely incredible when it is cooked, so just try a bit more baking time. I also sprinkled some cinnamon on the top before I put it in the oven. I did not mind it being a bit browned and crispy on the top...well worth it. My husband loved getting to eat all the bottoms and crumbs and edges while I was trying to master the recipe. Hope that works for you, cause it is wonderful :)

perez228
06-21-2012, 12:25 PM
Thanks Nancy! I'm going to try it again tonight. The one from last night went in the garbage - I was so upset because that was supposed to be breakfast this morning! I'm going to try the parchment/wax paper trick too. There definitely is an art to baking with almond flour! One more question about the dark chocolate chips - I could only find the kind that have sugar and cocoa butter in them - are these the right ones?

nancybaggot
06-21-2012, 12:48 PM
I don't usually use the chocolate chips, but by the end of P4, you can use sugar anyway. I did find some dark chocolate chips at the grocery, but I am sure they had sugar in them. I just wasn't concerned about a few of them at the end of P4. You are correct about the art to baking with almond flour. I have never been a very adept baker anyway, so I like to find one or two recipes that I can master and stick with them.

perez228
06-21-2012, 12:52 PM
I think I'm going to skip the chocolate chips also - I'm not far enough into P4 to feel comfortable with them. I have some unsweetened coconut at home that I got from the health food store - I think that would be tasty!

nancybaggot
06-21-2012, 01:06 PM
That sounds like a winner. Just be careful with it...the almond flour and bananas are fairly high in calories and it tastes so good, you will want to eat it up...LOL
Remember portion control :)

perez228
06-21-2012, 02:25 PM
Yes maam....will do!

perez228
06-22-2012, 07:16 AM
Nancy - I gave this another try last night except I substituted 3/4 of a cup of the almond flour with 3/4 cup of coconut flour. It turned out fine - I'm not sure if yours comes out dense but this one was moist but dense. I only had to bake it for 40 minutes and I used your trick of lining the pan with parchment paper - came out perfect! And delicious too!

nancybaggot
06-22-2012, 07:51 AM
Great Mary. I was just checking to see how it turned out for you. It is definitely dense, but not dry at all. Great idea with the coconut flour. I have read that coconut flour is even harder to get used to, so I would never have thought of that. Glad it finally worked out and that you enjoyed it. I find that I am having to relearn how to cook after 30+ years, and it is a challenge, but I am enjoying it.

perez228
06-22-2012, 07:57 AM
So far I've made a few things with coconut flour - it's definitely cheaper than almond flour! It also gives baked goods a little different consistency - maybe more moistness but it doesn't change the flavor at all. You can't even taste the coconut in it. I found a good recipe for banana muffins that I'm going to post today - those are good too!

nancybaggot
06-22-2012, 08:34 AM
I love coconut, so the coconut oil and flour are are wonderful. I bought a bag of the coconut flour, but actually have not made anything, so looking forward to trying your muffins and anything else that you have perfected. I find there is alot of "trial and error" with all this. I had a friend some years ago who wanted to open a bakery and she started "perfecting" things at home. Her poor husband gained 20 pounds in the process from all the tasting...LOL