PDA

View Full Version : Phase 4 Clients

Sadie
11-16-2011, 01:11 PM
Post your updates. How is Phase 4 going?

Jon Hildebrand
11-18-2011, 09:27 PM
Today would mark R2P4D12 on my Weight Tracking Chart.

Thus far in P4, holding steady around 212.0. D1 of P4 this time around I was at 211.8. Moved around a little here or there, but have stayed steady.

I've actually been pretty aggressive reintroducing starches and sugars back in. What I am finding this time around is that I don't eat a lot on my meals, but I end up snacking a lot through the day. Not a ton of stuff, but I have a stash of raw almonds sitting at my desk that may be dipped into now and then.

I'm actually surprised because I thought I would have bigger problem this time around. Especially with the increased snacking. However, maybe it's just my body burning a few more calories and trying to stay warm since I've lost almost 100 pounds thus far. :)

Sadie
11-19-2011, 12:31 PM
Jon, that is the thing about shedding that much weight, you get colder easier. I bet KC can get down right FREEZING!!!

nancybaggot
11-19-2011, 10:32 PM
Hey Jon and Linda,
I found you!! P4 is going well for me also. R3P4D19 and I am up a little today a pound above LDW. Spent a few days in Dallas picking up my Mom for Thanksgiving and had some snacky foods and my first venture into sweets again. But all in all, have been thrilled with only one steak day so far this round and good stabilizing as long as I do what I know I need to do. Great to see you again, Jon, and so glad you are doing well. How is Heather?

Jon Hildebrand
11-20-2011, 10:59 AM
Nancy - Heather is holding steady. We may have been a little over zealous this last Friday and went out for Mexican food. We didn't really hold back much and she spiked up pretty good. I even managed a 1.5 pound spike. I'm now stuck around 213.0 instead of 212.0 like I had been for the last 3-4 weeks.

I even managed to get into a few things I probably shouldn't have and have been holding steady. So far, so good.

nancybaggot
11-20-2011, 03:55 PM
Mexican will definitely do that to you, but it is so worth it. I know you have issues with salt, so I am sure that is it. But since we know how to correct it, it is an easy fix. I find it takes me a few days of eating very lean after a splurge to get back below LDW, but I am fine with that. Love hearing that things are going well for both of you and glad we are finally able to communicate again.

Jon Hildebrand
11-20-2011, 08:22 PM
I'm still almost 5 under LDW as it is. Having a 1 pound gain isn't anything I'm going to worry about. I know I probably shouldn't have had as much salsa and such. One of these days I'm going to start adding exercise back into the equation so that I can add that as another balancer in the scheme of things. So far, with it starting to get colder out, I just don't find much motivation in the early morning hours right now. Heh.

nancybaggot
11-20-2011, 09:45 PM
I don't even have the cold weather excuse for lack of motivation. I bought a zumba tape and haven't taken it out of the box. Too much going on right now and still trying to keep on track and away from too many holiday goodies. 2011 was my year to lose the weight and 2012 will be my year to firm up and make exercise as much a part of life as eating healthy. You have always done amazing with protocol and maintanence. Congratulations to continuing to rock this thing!!

Jon Hildebrand
11-21-2011, 07:08 AM
Jon, that is the thing about shedding that much weight, you get colder easier. I bet KC can get down right FREEZING!!!

It's only getting to 32 at night and already I'm finding myself getting really really cold. We haven't even gotten to the cold stuff yet (where it's below zero F). At that point, then I'll be officially screwed.

Jon Hildebrand
11-21-2011, 07:10 AM
I don't even have the cold weather excuse for lack of motivation. I bought a zumba tape and haven't taken it out of the box. Too much going on right now and still trying to keep on track and away from too many holiday goodies. 2011 was my year to lose the weight and 2012 will be my year to firm up and make exercise as much a part of life as eating healthy. You have always done amazing with protocol and maintanence. Congratulations to continuing to rock this thing!!

This is the time of year I usually dread. It's basically back to back to back to back overeaters holidays (Halloween for a good sugar rush, turkey and carb overload for the first course, a combination of sugar rush and carb overload for the second course at Christmas, and then too many bottles of booze for dessert at New Year's). No wonder everyone feels motivated, if even for about 2 days, after New Year's Day to start losing weight.

Amy Eckroad
11-21-2011, 10:55 AM
Is it difficult to keep the weight off. Can you splurge now and again as long as you try to eat healthy and exercise the rest of the time. Our family eats pizza on friday nights and i am hoping to be able to join back in someday. I know I will only be able to have 2 pieces of pizza now instead of 6 or 7 but just would like to be able to have some again someday. Is it harder to keep if off after doing this diet than it is with other diets? Thanks!

Sadie
11-21-2011, 11:21 AM
I don't even have the cold weather excuse for lack of motivation. I bought a zumba tape and haven't taken it out of the box. Too much going on right now and still trying to keep on track and away from too many holiday goodies. 2011 was my year to lose the weight and 2012 will be my year to firm up and make exercise as much a part of life as eating healthy. You have always done amazing with protocol and maintanence. Congratulations to continuing to rock this thing!! Try starting slowly with the exercise. Make a 10 minutes commitment. Go from there.

Jon Hildebrand
11-21-2011, 11:23 AM
Is it difficult to keep the weight off. Can you splurge now and again as long as you try to eat healthy and exercise the rest of the time. Our family eats pizza on friday nights and i am hoping to be able to join back in someday. I know I will only be able to have 2 pieces of pizza now instead of 6 or 7 but just would like to be able to have some again someday. Is it harder to keep if off after doing this diet than it is with other diets? Thanks!

To me, once you get to the life phase it's all about balance. Want to splurge? Well, balance out by not splurging and maybe using a bit of exercise to balance it out.

Keeping the weight off is entirely up to you. There is no magic solution that's going to work for everyone. Hopefully you learned what is the best foods and what isn't the best combination of foods moving forward. Learning is a HUGE part of maintenance that a lot of people seem to forget. You never stop learning with this program nor should you.

Jon Hildebrand
11-21-2011, 11:24 AM
Try starting slowly with the exercise. Make a 10 minutes commitment. Go from there.

I need to start doing this soon. I've been doing a decent job of making sure I get around 7000-8000 steps per day per my Fitbit I have for insurance discounts through work. I do need to start adding a few more exercises to burn off some of this sugar/starch that I'm starting to eat now in P4.

Sadie
11-21-2011, 11:49 AM
Try getting an ab workout. P90x has an awesome AB routine that I do in short bursts. I still can't make it through - REALLY hard. ~ Linda

Debra Kern
11-21-2011, 09:01 PM
Hey all,
I am in between Nancy and Jon on P4, but I am still counting P3 days because I haven't yet added anything P4. Having enough trouble staying in range with P3 foods. Sometimes I find snacking through the day helps me, sometimes I end up eating too much. I am figuring it all out. Trying to get in my mid-range before Thursday. We are going all low-carb but I know I will over-eat in quantity.
It's all good and I am getting calmer about staying in range all the time.
I am so glad to have this forum to stay sane and get tips from everyone!
Gotta get my beauty sleep now, but you all will be seeing me!

Sadie
11-22-2011, 12:17 AM
Debra, I am SO GLAD you are here with us. We all need each other, especially this time of year.

Jon Hildebrand
11-22-2011, 07:07 AM
Ugh. I'm going to have to change something up at work. I'm finding myself foraging and snacking more while at my desk. Pretty stressful at work with a major project due and I find myself munching on raw almonds of all things. It's ok to have some, but I think I overdid it yesterday. Need to get up and move away from the desk more often or something.

Jon Hildebrand
11-22-2011, 09:42 AM
Good news is it was only a 0.4 pound gain. Bad news is I still need to learn to quit dipping my hand into the almonds as much as I did. Yikes.

Sadie
11-22-2011, 12:54 PM
Jon, I find when I am stressed if I reach for water or liquid instead and keep my stomach full then snack I will snack less. Hope this helps

Jon Hildebrand
11-22-2011, 01:26 PM
Jon, I find when I am stressed if I reach for water or liquid instead and keep my stomach full then snack I will snack less. Hope this helps

Yeah, I've probably been avoiding getting a good amount of water in me. Today, I've done a much better job and it's 1:25pm and I'm just now getting hungry enough for lunch. I also ate my yogurt/granola mix at around 9am too. Stress is such a mean bitch sometimes.

Sadie
11-22-2011, 01:42 PM
Yes it is!! You will find stress will be the ONE thing that you need to balance to control your weight.

Debra Kern
11-22-2011, 08:43 PM
I really ate lean today. Stayed busy. That helped. I am in my range but only .4 from the top. I am cooking for only Bill and me for Thanksgiving (my son will be here, but won't eat anything much). I am making turkey, mashed cauliflower (for potatoes), Ezekiel Bread stuffing, gravy using xanthum gum for a thickener, roasted brussels sprouts, broccoli salad with bacon and cheese, and I am going to try to make some almond flour bread and almond flour crust on an apple pie.
All I can say is: Wish me luck.

I expect I will gain but it won't be because I ate the wrong foods, it will be because I ate more than normal. It might seem strange, but I feel pretty good about it because we are eating "right" instead of "splurging" on foods we have eliminated from our diet.

Sadie
11-22-2011, 11:17 PM
So proud Debra. You are ready and can handle this. Let me know if you need me.

Jon Hildebrand
11-23-2011, 09:35 AM
Did good yesterday and got my weight back down to 212.0 this morning. Got that stubborn pound dropped again. Reminder, folks. Water. Keep sticking with it. It worked wonders yesterday.

Sadie
11-23-2011, 11:03 AM
Yeah, Jon!!!

nancybaggot
11-24-2011, 09:22 PM
Hi Amy, I am midway through P4 of my third round and I do eat pizza occassionally, not every week, but when I do have it, I usually have about 3-4 pieces and do fine. I LOVE pizza and could never give it up. I eat thin slices with lots of veggies and I do not eat the crusty end (too much bread), and lots of salald. The key for me also is not eating too late in the evening. I also eat very lean the day after pizza, also. I have been on HCG most of this year, so I cannot really repsond to how hard it is to keep off, but I have not had any trouble stabilizing between the three rounds.

nancybaggot
11-24-2011, 09:30 PM
Linda, I also find that a large glass of water when I want to eat will fill me right up and then I am less likely to snack. I am not much of a snacker, but I love apples and nutbutters...

nancybaggot
11-24-2011, 09:43 PM
Debra, your menu sounds wonderful!! I did make our traditional cornbread dressing and gravy, but that was the only carb...fresh green beans, homemade cranberry relish with stevia, turkey , ham and rolls, which I avoided and pumpkin cupcakes. I ate on a small plate, which was full, but we ate around 1PM and then I skipped dinner. I was only 0.1 away from a steak day this morning, so I am sort of expecting I will need one tomorrow, but will be taking my Mom back to Dallas, so hoping I can keep it lean and then do a steak day on Saturday if I am still too out of line. Needing to stay close here for support for the next month, as this will be the real deciding factor as to how well I can implement what I have learned. The thing I did notice, though, is that I was not stuffed and did not nap at all today, nor did I feel the need for a nap. That is a good sign!! First Thanksgiving in history that I can say that. :)

Jon Hildebrand
11-25-2011, 08:32 AM
Survived Thanksgiving and the day before, but that stubborn pound is back. Up to 213.2 this morning, but I think there's some water I still need to get rid of.

Sadie
11-25-2011, 11:25 AM
Jon, not bad results for the big feast. A lot of people gain much more than that.

Jon Hildebrand
11-25-2011, 11:33 AM
After further review, shed a little more water and was just a shade below what I was yesterday. Either way, I came out relatively decent compared to what I probably could have in years past.

Debra Kern
11-25-2011, 12:56 PM
I ate only good food alright, but I ate too much. Drank wine, too. Too much of that, too. Had a good time, though. This morning I just couldn't stand to weigh, so....back to normal eating and I will weigh tomorrow and get all this off very quickly. Bill did great -- he's up but we are in this together and will support each other through this weekend as we get back to "normal."
Love you guys!
You know I will be in touch -- especially if things don't go my way! LOL!

Sadie
11-25-2011, 01:50 PM
Debra, Thanksgiving and days like it are what Steak Days were made for. No worries, it will come off.

Jon Hildebrand
11-26-2011, 11:10 AM
Had some tummy issues yesterday and it showed on the scale. I lost almost 2.4 pounds over night. I'm down to 210.0. That's going to be extremely temporary since it was a lot of water weight lost.

Sadie
11-26-2011, 11:19 AM
Jon, sorry to hear about the tummy issues. I agree the weight will rebound

Debra Kern
11-26-2011, 12:47 PM
So after my 7 pound gain in two days, pretty much planned, it has me thinking about splurging. Bill and I have been talking since summer whether we should try to stay on plan in these circumstances or what to do.
We love a good vacation (longest splurge - 7 days or so) and we also love our one or two day splurges for Thanksgiving or Christmas or a birthday or whatever.
Is there anything that would keep us from actually just going crazy for the splurge and go right back on when the splurge is over? This is what we have been doing for 3 years, since I started my weight-loss-health journey. Because we don't let ourselves continue eating badly, we just go back to healthy eating.
Do we know if this works okay? I don't know if I will eventually just have one cookie at Christmas, but for now, I want to "splurge" when these occasions come and it seems like it is okay, since I have the HCG tools now to really lose the weight quickly when the "splurge" is done.
Any thoughts? I am just thinking out loud by typing here anyway.

Sadie
11-26-2011, 01:07 PM
Debra, when you are facing a "splurge" often what happens is we get in our mind - in for a penny in for a pound. Meaning, oh well I am splurging now so the day is shot. Does this happen to you? If so, try modifying this experience. Try ensuring that you include a grilled protein and fresh vegetables at one meal. This will help to balance the splurges. It will stabilize the blood sugar levels and control the cravings. It may take a conscious effort to do this but it will help balance it.

nancybaggot
11-26-2011, 04:22 PM
Good suggestion, Linda. Debra, I think the reality of life is...for those of us who love to eat, and I am definitely one of those people, we need to allow ourselves the "splurge" and then just get back on the wagon. It sounds to me like you are doing that, not just throwing in the towel. For me personally, it is a fight to limit the things I love, but after three rounds on P2 this year, I am finding that easier to do. P2 is so restrictive in my mind that I am willing to cut down on the amounts of food I eat once in maintanence in order to avoid another P2. I would rather have a little bit than none at all. You and Bill have learned how to balance things and how to correct any gains. Enjoy your "splurges"!!

Debra Kern
11-26-2011, 07:15 PM
Hey now! That's what I call helpful hints, Linda and Nancy! Excellent idea. Another way of looking at it is to have the splurge be only one meal or only the dessert, instead of one or two whole days of food. Thank you!
We definitely seem to have created a habit of stopping the splurge. Now, maybe we can shorten the splurge, too.
In this for life!
Thanks you guys! We really need each other!

Sadie
11-26-2011, 10:25 PM
Yes we do!!!

Jon Hildebrand
11-27-2011, 08:33 AM
Managed to shed another 0.4 this morning. That puts me down 3.0 over the last 3 days. Maybe this isn't a temporary water weight loss. As I'm just about to wrap up this P4, I'm now at 209.6 pounds, which puts me right around 101.0 lost total over two rounds. Interesting because I'm now just about done with R2's 4th Phase. Going to take a 7-8 week break until I hit up that last round. Will try to get some exercise back in to even things out. I keep thinking I've learned what I need to to make it through the Life Phase parts I've hit up thus far.

Debra Kern
11-27-2011, 07:25 PM
Jon, that's really great! I have a girlfriend who did a round with me and she lost further after finishing her round. I think maybe it does happen if we have more to lose.
I am at the low point of my weight and am okay, but I do a balancing act to keep it down.
I lost 3.4 on my steak day. Still at least another 3 pounds to go. Ate lean today, and I hope it helps. I will eat lean for a day or two, but if I don't come down quickly, I will do another steak day.
Hoping lean works. I think steak days are hard on my body and it wants to rebound back up.
We will see. I will do whatever it takes.
Bill is doing fine. Same as me.

Jon Hildebrand
11-27-2011, 08:28 PM
I can't complain. I've lost almost 20-22 pounds during maintenance phases in the first and second round. This is why I think if I got my butt off the couch and added more than walking to my list of activities. I've only got about 15-20 left to lose and who knows, maybe I can lose it through exercise adding to the mix to finish it off. I know I'm not looking forward to another P2, but I know Heather is going to give me the eye daggers if I'm not at least joining her for one more before she gets to her goals.

nancybaggot
11-28-2011, 07:24 PM
Well, after all my comments about hating P2 and not wanting to ever have to do P2 protocol again, I ordered a 15 day round with a free 1 ounce bottle for one more short round. I really want to be in the 140s and a bit more mid range of my normal BMI. Would be perfectly happy with a 10 pound loss and feel good about it, since I am not putting any real pressure on myself for a 30 pound loss like I did with the other rounds. I can't seem to swing your losses, Jon...poor Heather....having to compete with you. You better stick with her until she reaches her goal or you deserve those eye daggers.

Debra Kern
11-28-2011, 07:40 PM
Nancy -- You go girl! My second round I ended up only losing 8ish pounds. I had allowed myself to gain prior to the round and really didn't have much to lose. Bill needed the round and I was glad to lose those pounds.

Jon -- When are you guys going to do your next round?

I began the 2-day Thanksgiving feast up 3 lbs from LDW. Yeah, would have been a steak day on Thanksgiving. Sigh. But alas, I ate too much for two days and I now need to lose 6 lbs to LDW. I did an egg day today and I think it will net me some loss. I am going to do high protein tomorrow but maybe throw in a salad or something. Problem is: Sunday when I "ate lean" netted me a .4 gain. Just have to figure out this "lean day" thing.
Bill is doing everything he can figure out to lose. Steak Day worked, but I think it is possible that he eats so little on his "lean day" that his body actually goes into starvation mode or something. We will see.

We are staying positive above all. It is so easy to get negative when the scale goes the wrong way or doesn't go down as fast as we want it to.

nancybaggot
11-28-2011, 08:09 PM
Debra, I went into Thanksgiving 2 pounds above LDW, only 0.1 from a steak day, so I had planned steak for Friday for my family. Imagine my shock when I weighed Friday morning and was down a pound. I could not believe it. And I was really surprised that you gained after your wonderful HCG friendly menu. I know Linda has said that protein is the key for maintaining, so I am sure you and Bill will find what works for you. I use alot of roasted chicken (get them at Walmart) and apples with cinnamon when I go lean. I find that sometimes it is easier for me with less choices...not exactly P2, but sort of. I also believe that staying positive and not beating ourselves up is a large part of the journey. We have to do this for the rest of our lives and if I thought I could never have a piece of pizza again, I would probably settle for being overweight. Day by day, step, by step...:)

Sadie
11-28-2011, 11:14 PM
Maintenance is sometimes a rocky road especially through the holidays. We just need to tip toe through it.

Jon Hildebrand
11-29-2011, 07:44 AM
Heather is going to begin shortly after New Year's. I'm going to join her in the last three weeks of her VLCD phase. So, I'm looking at either late January/early February as my start time for the last round. I'm just going to go a minimum round and call it good after that. Heather is talking about a 4th round but I don't think I'm going to want or need another round after this next one. That's where, I'm sure, we are going to have some tension in the house.

Debra Kern
11-29-2011, 12:24 PM
Jon -- Main thing, whether you are on P2 with her or not -- I know for a fact that it is wonderful to have a spouse who really understands what I am going through. All you can do is be sympathetic and supportive. But you know that!

Yeah, I cooked lots of healthy foods for the holiday. No sugar, no white flour, everything, but too much of a good thing, as they say. I have a problem with eating more food than my body needs. I am working on it. That's where my weight gains can come from even in the face of "good" food. This program is probably the best for me to maintain because of the strictness of the weight range. I hope to evolve, but until then, strictly sticking to protocol and watching the scale will be my path to success. (Even if I decide to truly "splurge" on "bad" foods for a holiday. This support and protocol with get me through. And Bill.

Egg day results: Down 2.2. Worked. I like it. Eating carefully today. May just do another egg day if I don't lose a little in the next day or so.

nancybaggot
11-29-2011, 01:03 PM
Great loss from the egg day. Tell me exactly what you did...didn't I read like 13 eggs?? How did you cook them?

I fully understand about eating more food than we need. I have started eating on a smaller plate, which is a trick I learned from my Mom years ago. Hubby and I always share a meal when we eat out and I usually order a salad to round out whatever we are eating. I do much better eating healthy when it is just my husband and myself and definitely the hardest time in the six weeks between Thanksgiving and New Years. Love snacky foods and wine and fudge and foods that I do try and avoid other than during the holidays. We also have a family trip planned to Disney World December 18-24 to celebrate our daughter's graduation from college and I am hoping that the added exercise will help offset the character buffets we have planned. Will avoid sweets during that week and severly limit carbs as well and hope I can maintain.

Debra Kern
11-29-2011, 07:18 PM
Wow -- Nancy what a challenge for you. So many "splurge" temptations in front of you. Your determination and self-discipline are so admirable! Seriously, thanks for sharing like you do! Didn't I read that you hate P2 so much that you are willing to do anything to avoid doing it again (I know you are planning another round), but I mean, that's a deterrent from gaining any pounds back. Not to have to lose them again!
Egg day, yeah, 4 for b'fast, 4 for lunch, 5 for dinner. I tried a new idea I read on Miracle Skinny Drops about putting them in the microwave and nuking them til poached. I put salt, pepper and chipotle powder. I kept doing it because it was a no-fat way to cook them and I kept over-cooking them and trying again to get the right time so the white would be cooked but not the yolk. LOL! But I could/would have made omelets or hard-boiled or fried in a little CO or made egg salad. I read that you can have some fat and cheese, but I didn't do any of that. I did sneak in a couple of CDs, though. The Miracle Skinny Drops purports that you can have some CO in your diet as a regular habit and I am a little hooked on CDs. (You know I mean CD=Chocolate Delights and CO=Coconut Oil.)
It wasn't really a bad correction day and it really worked. I got to eat all day basically and I was actually pretty full. I wanted something in the early evening but that was just habit, I wasn't really hungry.
I will do one again. Hope I don't need to. Today I had some chicken, salad and more chicken so I am hoping I don't rebound from the egg day loss!
Will stay in touch!
Girl -- !!! -- avoiding sweets at Disney! -- You just kill me~ I love you!

Debra Sanchez
11-29-2011, 09:49 PM
You've gotta lotta will power to be good the next day, Debra!

Sadie
11-30-2011, 12:46 AM
Debra try this for your eggs. Take a small pan put about 1 inch of water in the bottom and bring to a small boil. Gently drop the eggs in the water. Take the hot water and spoon over the top of the egg. It will turn it opaque. Drain the water off and then add a little salt and pepper. I love it this way.

Jon Hildebrand
11-30-2011, 07:33 AM
Well, today is first day since end of August that I'm not "restricted" by the plan. The good news is I still feel extremely guilty pigging out and I do believe I've found a nice balance to my food intake that satisfies the foodie in me along with not going overboard. These are the lessons I take with me and hopefully nothing bad happens on the scale for the next 6-8 weeks. Who knows, if I can finally get the motivation for exercise, I might not need that last HCG phase at all. Will see and keep everyone updated.

nancybaggot
11-30-2011, 07:47 AM
Jon, that is what this journey is all about...finding balance. And when you find the exercise motivation, share a little with me, please. I still have the zumba videos I bought, but have yet to open the box. Just have not found, or made the time. Keep in touch and good luck as you continue to maintain and enjoy all that wonderful food, in moderation :)

nancybaggot
11-30-2011, 08:00 AM
Debra, I really like the idea of being able to eat some throughout the day, so will try the eggs the next time I need a "correction" day. Also plan to try Linda's suggestion of more whites and less yolks, as I do have a "belchy" feeling after eating hardboiled eggs. Have never eaten that many eggs in one days, so not sure how the stomach would handle it anyway. It really is not hard for me to limit sweets, since I am more of a fat craver...chips and dips and cheese snd nuts. After living in Paris for three years, I learned that alot of desserts look really fabulous but do not deliver as much on the taste. And yes, I do hate P2 and it is a deterrent for me, but I had secretly hoped to get into the 140s and ended up at 155, which was fine at the end of P2, but now that I have been able to eat more goodies, I feel that I am strong enough for one more round to get there. I have equated P2 to childbirth...you forget the pain after it is over and are ready to do it all over again.

I am also cooking with CO and love the CDs as well. I am also sold on the Ezekiel breads and almond milk and trying hard to eat more veggies and less meat and dairy, though I do love cheese. For me, it is all about moderation and trade offs and I am pleased with what I have learned this year. Sounds like you did great with the "day after", eating lean, and I am sure you will not have a rebound issue. That's the key...go back to lean whenever I start creeping or sometimes jumping up, before it gets out of hand. Have a great day!!

Jon Hildebrand
11-30-2011, 09:42 AM
Well, I'm not going to be going anywhere, but at the same time, I doubt there's going to be much to report since I'm going to be in the midst of keeping on keeping on. I figure if I was able to leave a week in Las Vegas (back in August) only up 0.5 pounds, I probably learned something and just need to keep sticking with that strategy.

Sadie
11-30-2011, 12:12 PM
I have confidence in each one of you. You are well prepared for what hits you. You know what works and what does not work. The Holidays should not cause too much of a blip on the scales

Jon Hildebrand
11-30-2011, 12:41 PM
I have confidence in each one of you. You are well prepared for what hits you. You know what works and what does not work. The Holidays should not cause too much of a blip on the scales

Thanks for the vote of confidence. While I think I'm ready for this, there's a part of me that still thinks I'm going to fall flat on my face.

Debra Kern
11-30-2011, 01:22 PM
I posted this on the FB New Year's page but I wanted to post it for Linda to possibly advise:

Got my blood work back from yesterday and my LDL is too high for my doctor. She suggests flaxseed oil. I wonder if borage oil will work as well. Should I start worrying about my cholesterol from the high proteins I am eating? Anyone else have any info on this kind of thing?

Total Cholesterol: 286
HDL: 95 (very good)
LDL:178 (160 is top number advised)
Trig: 67
Anybody know anything about these things?

You know I had just done that egg day the day before -- could that show up?

Debra Sanchez
11-30-2011, 01:56 PM
I've been told exercise helps with getting the LDL down. Other than losing weight, which you have done, exercise is the next step.

Jon Hildebrand
11-30-2011, 01:58 PM
I was told at my lab result meeting that exercise would help drop me down from 111 to the really good stage of less than 100. I echo was Debra said and recommend adding more exercise to see if that will help.

nancybaggot
11-30-2011, 06:32 PM
Debra, most doctors want the total cholesterol below 200. Unless you compare results, it is hard to evaluate the numbers. Exercise will lower the LDL and your HDL is good, as are the triglycerides. Egg day could have affected the results. My total cholesterol was actually down over 50 points from the year before at my yearly physical in May and I had only lost about 35 pounds at that time. LDL was still above normal, but I was not exercising. I would keep doing what you are doing, add the fish oil and flaxseed oil as suggested, and focus on exercise and lean proteins. I'll bet your numbers will be better next time around. I also think there is something to I think Christi's thoughts about the overuse of Lipitor and cholesterol lowering drugs. You have made some wonderful life changes this year...keep it up and see what the numbers are in six months or whenever the doctor wants to see you again.

nancybaggot
11-30-2011, 06:35 PM
Jon, I think we all are still concerned about falling flat on our face. But every morning we wake up and we are within range or when we do a steak day and drop some weight, we know we are ready for whatever is thrown at us. We know how to correct the gains and even if it takes awhile, we can get there. The key is not letting it get too far away from us. Love HCG!!!

Debra Kern
11-30-2011, 08:48 PM
I agree with everyone and thank you all for responding. Any advice is so welcome!

Sadie
11-30-2011, 10:04 PM
Debra, I am not an doctor but I would think that the large amount of eggs in your system squed the results. If it were only egg whites I would doubt it. I say follow the recommendation for for the flax seed oil. Do they plan to re-test?

Debra Kern
12-02-2011, 06:47 AM
Linda -- she wants to retest in the usual 3-6 months. I agree not to worry too much, but to add the flax oil and maybe even some niacin and everything else. I agree about the eggs but would add that I had just come off a recent 9 pound gain from Thanksgiving, not that we ate any processed foods, nor white flour or sugar or anything like that. We did overeat and had a lot of bacon. That and the eggs might have caused a lot of cholesterol particles to be floating around in my blood.
I read what Dr. Simeon said about cholesterol and it could be that I just came off HCG.
I do have an hereditary factor for high total cholesterol, but no one ever looked at the HDL/LDL/Trigliceride-relationship with my sister and my mother, only total cholesterol. I have had high-ish total cholesterol before, but the doctor at the time say the relationship of the individual numbers and didn't recommend meds. I really do believe the LDL will increase in the next months and I will be fine. I am certainly one who will put off meds as long as possible. All my other numbers are so good, so I am happy.

Sadie
12-02-2011, 11:13 AM
I honestly feel you are correct in your suspicions. I fully expect your levels to return to normal by the next test. Of course, if any symptoms appear you know what to do.

Debra Kern
12-04-2011, 09:21 PM
I did an egg day yesterday (exept for the 1 oz of steak I swiped from Bill) and lost .6. That puts me at 2.0 over. In my range for the first time in 10 days. I ate a big breakfast and light lunch, even lighter dinner in an effort to keep it off. I would love to lose these two pounds and see my LDW for the first time in a long time.
I am actually kind of liking the egg days. Only thing is, with less to lose, I lose less. S'okay.

Sadie
12-05-2011, 11:21 AM
Debra, You are headed in the right direction. Remember that the longer you stay above your threshold the harder it is to get the weight off. That is why the protocol recommends the Steak Days immediately upon gaining the weight. But as I said, you are headed in the right direction. Great job.

Tina Gonzenbach
12-07-2011, 04:33 PM
Not sure if I'm posting in the right place, but have a maintenance question. I have done three rounds of HCG and have lost ~60 lbs. I am having a terrible time getting my weight "stabilized". I will more than like be doing a steak day tomorrow, but it seems no matter what I eat, I am on a constant upward trajectory. it's .6 one day, 1.2 another day, etc...I am still eating mostly proteins, veggies and fruit with VERY LITTLE carbs. I have also started exercising doing a combination of walking/jogging for 1.5 miles about 4 days a week, but still going up. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I'm doing wrong?

Yesterday for breakfast I had 3 eggs (2 yolks/3 whites) with about 1T of shredded cheese and 1 round of canadian bacon. For lunch I had tuna salad (tuna w/mayo, celery and peppers), salad with ranch dressing, cucumber, peppers and fruit (1 clementine) and for dinner I had taco salad (lettuce, cheese, onions, peppers, salsa, 1T sour cream); berries with whipped cream.

Tina Gonzenbach
12-07-2011, 04:34 PM
I also had chicken on my taco salad.

Debra Kern
12-07-2011, 06:56 PM
Dang, Tina! You sound like you are eating exactly right. Sounds like me, too. Linda will come along and reply to this. I know I am only eating P3 foods, too and am fighting the increases, too! I have been increasing my protein and reducing my portions. Sounds contradictory but it's not. I have a tendency to eat more food than my body needs, so I am really trying to do portion control, at the same time, I am making sure to get proteins in first. I am beginning to get a balance. It is so incredibly individual that I wouldn't know what to tell you. I only know I am reading everything from everyone for every ounce of help and knowledge I can get!
Linda will help.

Sadie
12-07-2011, 11:28 PM
I also had chicken on my taco salad. How far into Maintenance are you? I would cut back on the egg yolks. The egg whites are perfect to eat.

Tina Gonzenbach
12-08-2011, 08:11 AM
I'm in my sixth week of maintenance. So you would eliminate all yolks are cut back to one? Anything other suggestions since I'm thinking cutting back on 1 or 2 egg yolks may not be enough.

Debra Sanchez
12-08-2011, 10:19 AM
Hey, I'm .4 below LDW today! Happy Dance!

Sadie
12-08-2011, 12:41 PM
I'm in my sixth week of maintenance. So you would eliminate all yolks are cut back to one? Anything other suggestions since I'm thinking cutting back on 1 or 2 egg yolks may not be enough. Limit the fat and dairy when you are struggling with weight.

Sadie
12-08-2011, 10:48 PM
I'm in my sixth week of maintenance. So you would eliminate all yolks are cut back to one? Anything other suggestions since I'm thinking cutting back on 1 or 2 egg yolks may not be enough. When you say sixth week of Maintenance do you mean your 6th week of Phase 3? We have recently amended our recommendation of the breakdown of the time on Phase 3 and 4 for those completing multiple round. We advise you to take the entire Maintenance (phase 3 & 4 combined) then split the weeks in two half in Phase 3 half in Phase 4 now instead of just completing 3 weeks on Phase 3 and the rest on Phase 4. Did you do that?

Debra Kern
12-11-2011, 12:58 PM
Checking in: Hate to admit it but I think I have been a bit in denial about "eating lean" or "clean." I think breakfast has me stumped, still.
I have gone to true P2-P3-like foods for the past three days. I dropped 1.8 on the first morning and have stayed stable for the next two days. With my weight-loss pattern, I expect another drop in the next couple of days.
I am pretty sure I have been eating too much food even though it's all the right foods. Also, I have probably been in denial about what I can eat and still call it a "lean" day. I am sure I have munched on "bites" of things not included in "lean."
So, I am .8 above LDW and continuing to eat lean, trying to get to LDW, if I can, before next weekend when I have some parties to attend. Same thing for Christmas weekend and New Year's.
I feel so much better in my range. That's where I'm supposed to be, after all!
Switched from a big omelet to a double protein shake for breakfast and may have to switch up foods again.
Anybody notice if we need to change our foods occasionally to keep the body off kilter?

nancybaggot
12-12-2011, 11:45 AM
The old saying "Eat breakfast like a king, lunch like a queen and dinner like a pauper" really works for me. I have never been a big breakfast eater and not a fan of breakfast foods, but it really doesn't have to be eggs and cereal. I think the point is the timing in the day and not eating a heavy, big meal too late in the day. I find myself eating yogurt and fruit or the protein shake for dinner and eating more of what I would call a "dinner" meal at lunch. Now, since it only my husband any myself, I can do that. I know it is not as practical for those of you who have children to feed. My husband eats his big meal at lunch as well, so we just sort of "snack" at dinnertime. Parties and especially this time of the year are a real challenge, so we just adjust for those times.

Debra Kern
12-12-2011, 02:07 PM
I work M-Th from 4:00 til 7:30 and so I have dinner at 3:00 or 3:30. Then maybe a cup of tea or apple or CD after I teach. I think it really helps not to eat late. BUT, I have a friend who did HCG and she DOES eat late and it still works for her. I heard from Dr. Oz or somewhere that it is the total calories in 24 hours that really matters. But, for me, early dinner helps. It is usually light because I always feel like I just ate lunch.
The other 3 days a week, I eat at 5:00 or 5:30. Real "senior citizen" schedule here, but I like it!

Debra Sanchez
12-12-2011, 09:34 PM
Good to know Debra! This is good info for those who do not work the conventional 8 to 5!

Debra Kern
12-15-2011, 08:05 AM
So yesterday I finally made it to LDW since November 2nd. Gradually had gained a bit, then Thanksgiving hit and I overate for two days and finally got in range last weekend and yesterday, LDW. SOOOOO....I had 1/2 of a buckeye and bite of 7 layer bar yesterday and ..... up 1.2.
Needless to say, I know what caused it and I will save my "splurging" for all in one day and then be done with it. Having "just a bite" on occasion doesn't work.
Or, wait, should I just eat right now until the 1.2 comes back off then try to gradually add real sugar in so my body "gets used to it?" I don't expect to want real white sugar in my diet as a habit.
Not sure. Linda? Should I just splurge on occasion and not worry about adding back foods that I won't regularly eat?
I truly feel that if I start adding white flour and sugar, I will gain from it.
Ideas?

nancybaggot
12-15-2011, 05:09 PM
I am starting to believe more and more, from everything that I read, that sugar and white flour are not good at all. Years ago, my mother-in-law had breast cancer and she cut out all sugar and white flour from her diet and went into remission for many years. I am trying to re-evaluate my eating habits and consider what, if any, nutrituonal value there is in the things I put into my mouth. Sweets, sugar, really have no value and are empty calories, so I personally think it is best to avoid them pretty much all together. Now with that being said, it is a process, completely changing the way we think and the way we eat. We have made tremendous changes this year and I don't expect to make the needed changes all at once. I was up two pounds today after eating cupcakes and chocolate covered raisins yesterday....they were yummy, but had little real nutritional value and I know if I continue to eat them regularly, I will probably continue to put weight back on. So I will not make it a habit and maybe one day, I will avoid them alltogether.

Jon Hildebrand
12-16-2011, 09:08 AM
I don't see a reason to continually run from nor be scared of some food types. I'm not the type of person that's going to completely cut out sugar and flour from my diet, no matter how hard I try. I have a sweet tooth and I'm too much of a sandwich lover to give those up completely. However, I'm learning moderation. Sure, they may not have a ton of or any nutritional value, but that isn't going to stop me from enjoying once in a while (emphasis on "once in a while").

I got into this mess in the first place, not because of what I ate, but how much I ate. I'm not going to swing the pendulum entirely the other direction and avoid these foods. I'm sticking the pendulum in the middle. Moderation is my key word for 2012.

Sadie
12-16-2011, 11:24 AM
So proud Jon!

Jon Hildebrand
12-16-2011, 11:40 AM
I look at it this way. If there are people that can by eating fast food once in a while and not have problems with it, I can have more than a nibble of a sweet dessert and not feel like I'm going to explode on the scale the next morning. Again, the problem wasn't 100% the food I was eating. It was frequency and quantity. Those are what I'm working on.

Debra Kern
12-16-2011, 05:40 PM
Yes, Jon! I have a bit of an addiction, so I have to watch it or I will turn an occasional treat in to an ongoing habit, but I am right with you about moderation! I am working on that, too!
Great post!

nancybaggot
12-16-2011, 06:46 PM
Moderation is definitely the key. However, the more I eat of certain things, like sweets over the past few weeks, the more I crave them and I never considered myself a sweet craver. I have eaten more sugar this last month than I have all year and suddenly I am craving it like crazy. Guess for me, I have to decide if I want to fight the cravings or stay away from the things that cause me to crave. I agree...I am not going to give up the things I love, but I am willing to adjust some of my recipes and "old family favorites" in favor of healthier options.

Amy Eckroad
12-28-2011, 09:14 PM
R1P4D8- I'm really struggling with my appetite. Over the holidays I put on 6 pounds. I haven't been able to do a steak day to get it off either. I am flat broke for at least another week so I can't afford to get any steak. I have some chicken on hand but I am not sure if I can use it instead. Is there anything I can do to lose the 6 lbs and some how control my appetite. I am starving all day long. Help!

Debra Kern
12-28-2011, 09:54 PM
Amy,
I am sure Linda will come on and give you some advice! Meantime, I gotta say, if you can stand it, try eggs. They are cheaper and you could do an egg day or maybe two. That is if you can come up with the money for the eggs.
If you only have chicken, use the chicken and eat mostly chicken and just a little veg.
I put on 13 pounds over the weekend. Now, given, some of that is temporary weight and will come off quick, but here's what I ate on Monday -- 4 eggs, fried, for lunch, 2 boiled egg whites mixed with a 4oz can of tuna and a little bit of yogurt mixed with mustard for a dressing. For dinner: 6 oz chicken, 2 slices of grilled eggplant and 2 cups mixed salad.
Tuesday -- 4 eggs, 4oz tuna like Monday, dinner -- 4 egg omelet with a very little bit of cheddar cheese.
Really high protein, not much else. I stay full because if I get hungry I can have a boiled egg, but I haven't gotten hungry.
Don't eat less food to lose pounds, eat the right foods. If you are really hungry, your body might be holding on to the pounds from thinking it is "starving."
This is just what I am doing, kind of instead of a real steak day. Monday I lost 4 pounds and Tuesday I lost 3.2 pounds. I expect it will taper off, but I am just going to keep it high-protein and very lean.
Hope this helps until you hear from Linda!

Sadie
12-29-2011, 12:17 PM
Correcting the weight with a Steak Day is always preferred however if it just isn't possible do as Debra suggests. High protein is key to shedding the weight. As you have probably figured out, the longer you stay over your LDW the harder it is to get the weight off. Hang in there Amy.

vosshens
03-22-2012, 10:51 PM
R1P4D7 and still at LDW! I am THRILLED to say the least. I have even had a couple of beers! Thank you Linda and thank you HCG. I am training for my 1st half marathon (at age 52) and feel the best I have in years. 22 lbs down and maintaining. . . life is good!

Sadie
03-22-2012, 11:00 PM
I am so happy to hear from you! This is wonderful news. I hope you will continue to check in with us here on the site. All my best!

lisaks
09-03-2012, 03:38 PM
I *finished* P4 of my second round at the beginning of May, and I am still right at my LDW (a couple of pounds above or below). It's an amazing blessing and I am extremely grateful for it every single day.

I really can eat anything I want; the difference is that now, I just don't want to eat too much or too many bad things. But, for example, I can have a cookie or even two a day, and that feels like plenty - I truly don't want to eat any more than that.

The worst thing about my former state of overweight wasn't the way I looked, or felt, or worries about my health, although those were all big concerns of mine. No, the worst thing was that I felt powerless. I couldn't control it. I could lose weight, but the yo-yo effect was horrible and just made me feel even more out of control and "wrong". I don't feel that way any more. Hcg has empowered me.

nancybaggot
09-03-2012, 09:00 PM
Thanks for sharing Lisa and what an awesome report. You have accomplished alot and should be very proud. Keep up the good work.

insanebassman
05-06-2013, 02:27 PM
Gonna revive this thread!

I am running/jogging/walking (Almost interval style right now) every day before lunch here at work. 1.25 miles or 1.31 miles depending on route. Compared to my pre-HCG times, my first jog cut 4 minutes off my time. I have since cut that down even more.

Crystal is taking it a little slower, but she has more weight to lose than me, so I am keeping her on medium to low impact stuff. (Gel padded treadmill for cardio and no jumping yet!)

I have hit the weights and am staying steady at 11 pounds below LDW. I will back off the weights to tone for a few weeks starting next week so I can once again focus on dropping fat faster. We have stuck to healthy eating with only very minor deviations. Namely, I have had a total of 1 scotch on the rocks and Crystal has had a few MnM's without consequence. We work for it though and maintain healthy eating, hydration and sleeping habits as much as real life allows. No eating out for us yet, but we really haven't missed that.

Tiffany Reynolds Volkman
05-06-2013, 03:12 PM
That is amazing :) I am P3 and have added back exercise but am curious how it will affect LDW as I increase muscle. So far so good. Keep up the good work!! I didn't know that gel padded treadmills existed!

Sadie
05-07-2013, 10:34 AM
Gonna revive this thread!

I am running/jogging/walking (Almost interval style right now) every day before lunch here at work. 1.25 miles or 1.31 miles depending on route. Compared to my pre-HCG times, my first jog cut 4 minutes off my time. I have since cut that down even more.

Crystal is taking it a little slower, but she has more weight to lose than me, so I am keeping her on medium to low impact stuff. (Gel padded treadmill for cardio and no jumping yet!)

I have hit the weights and am staying steady at 11 pounds below LDW. I will back off the weights to tone for a few weeks starting next week so I can once again focus on dropping fat faster. We have stuck to healthy eating with only very minor deviations. Namely, I have had a total of 1 scotch on the rocks and Crystal has had a few MnM's without consequence. We work for it though and maintain healthy eating, hydration and sleeping habits as much as real life allows. No eating out for us yet, but we really haven't missed that.We have missed you here James. Glad you are doing well. Don't be a stranger! My best to Crystal.

Sadie
05-07-2013, 10:36 AM
That is amazing :) I am P3 and have added back exercise but am curious how it will affect LDW as I increase muscle. So far so good. Keep up the good work!! I didn't know that gel padded treadmills existed!Initially you might have a bit of a gain but as you continue it will balance out.

fusian18
05-17-2013, 06:35 AM
Ok LDW was 139.5 back in Dec 2012- Had been doing pretty well stabilizing, doing a steak day when needed. I have been really busy at work and have been just eating salads with lemon/olive oil and some stevia dressing- and some blue cheese with strawberry or green apple and a piece of protein for lunch and dinners- Eating eggs with some cheese for breakfast. Drinking black tea with stevia and creamer for breakfast and of course about 4-6 -Large glasses of H20 all day. But I started gaining and am stuck at 143. It just keeps creeping up. I did do a steak day and dropped a little but then it creeps back on. I know I need to do another steak day BUT I am discouraged that I am not going to be able to keep it off and it is going to be another yo-yo thing.... I did splurge on Mothers Day and had a piece of cake (not a small one) and then also ate some ice cream a couple of days before that... I am getting discouraged and just want to live a normal life and not always be "watching" what I eat. I basically know what I should be doing but I don't want to be consumed with it to the point that I am not just living normally. I am a pretty conscientious person anyhow when it comes to food. I just don't like fast foods or junk food all the time. Most of what I eat is real food and a lot of it is organic- I hardly ever eat out packaged foods. How can I just keep this off without doing a steak day constantly. I feel like that much steak is not good for my health as well.

Debra Kern
05-17-2013, 06:38 AM
I am posting here to make sure I get in on all the responses to fusian18.
Hi, Linda!

Sadie
05-17-2013, 11:09 AM
Hi Debra! How are you???

Sadie
05-17-2013, 11:15 AM
Ok LDW was 139.5 back in Dec 2012- Had been doing pretty well stabilizing, doing a steak day when needed. I have been really busy at work and have been just eating salads with lemon/olive oil and some stevia dressing- and some blue cheese with strawberry or green apple and a piece of protein for lunch and dinners- Eating eggs with some cheese for breakfast. Drinking black tea with stevia and creamer for breakfast and of course about 4-6 -Large glasses of H20 all day. But I started gaining and am stuck at 143. It just keeps creeping up. I did do a steak day and dropped a little but then it creeps back on. I know I need to do another steak day BUT I am discouraged that I am not going to be able to keep it off and it is going to be another yo-yo thing.... I did splurge on Mothers Day and had a piece of cake (not a small one) and then also ate some ice cream a couple of days before that... I am getting discouraged and just want to live a normal life and not always be "watching" what I eat. I basically know what I should be doing but I don't want to be consumed with it to the point that I am not just living normally. I am a pretty conscientious person anyhow when it comes to food. I just don't like fast foods or junk food all the time. Most of what I eat is real food and a lot of it is organic- I hardly ever eat out packaged foods. How can I just keep this off without doing a steak day constantly. I feel like that much steak is not good for my health as well.Fusian18, I am so sorry you are struggling. As life goes on hormones in our body change our metabolism suffers and weight gain can happen. In the last 6 months has your routine changed? Do you exercise regularly? What is your weakness regarding foods and how often do you indulge?
The problem with our food supply is it is laden with hormones and chemicals that counteract our new reved metabolism and begins to put damp rags over our internal fire. I find that doing a week of Phase 2 type food helps my metabolism to rev a bit and gives me a countermeasure to the damping affect of the food supply.
I know this isn't ideal and not in the original protocol but Dr. Simeons did not have to contend with the crap in our food chain. Hang in there ok?

Debra Kern
05-17-2013, 11:19 AM
Oh, Linda, so great! Bill and I are keeping the faith and watching ourselves and really teamed up about food! Of course there are the moments when Bill says, let's get pizza and I turn and look at him and we both crack up laughing!
He is about LDW+2, maybe 3 and I am LDW+5 today (Mother's Day celebration), but we always manage to get our weight back down via eating right (P3, mostly). I have found that a higher fat content works fine for me, but I still have to watch the calories.
We have 3 big splurge vacations per year where we eat whatever we want and we are super strict in between the splurges. No fooling around unless we are at LDW.
How are you doing?

Sadie
05-17-2013, 11:40 AM
Sounds like "Team Kern" is in great shape. How wonderful to have each other for support.
I am doing just fine. I had a surgery in January that I have recovered nicely from. My husband says that I am addicted to the support garment they gave me for the surgical site. When I don't wear it I can still feel the area swelling and it is uncomfortable for me so I do wear it quite a bit.

My music is going great and I am gearing up for my first summer vacation since 2005. We are going at the end of June. I - of course - will be working on this site but I am going to enjoy the rest of the time off with my husband and friends.

Debra Kern
05-17-2013, 01:45 PM
Well, I will check in here more often. My search for continuing info is still on and always will be! I love new info. I will see you on the site here and be watching for all the victories.
Enjoy your vacation!!!

Sadie
05-18-2013, 08:36 AM
Thanks Debra, I look forward to seeing your posts! Bless you sweetie!

fusian18
05-26-2013, 05:11 AM
Well, I don't exercise. Having some pain in my shoulder and I am in physical therapy for now. I like to walk but don't have much time to do- I guess I need to make that time- My weakness in indulging is fresh baked breads, biscuits with butter, pancakes- So, I don't eat these EVER. When I do really need to eat some I usually will go for the Ezekial Bread and maybe one NO MORE than two slices. It seems to settle with me well. Reg whole wheat bread or any other seems to make me feel sluggish when I eat it. I love ice cream and with it getting hot out I have had those cravings- but again I am trying to eat the purest form of it- Breyers Vanilla- ingredients reading cream, sugar and milk basically no artificial (vanilla is actually my favorite) not too fond of flavors. I AM noticing that I am eating alot more nuts. I love roasted nuts and raw any of them. I still seem to have a noshing need. where I can just open the cabinet and grab something easy and quick. I notice I gain when I have a "nut day" probably too much fat content. I am just trying to stay really conscientious of my food intake. Keeping protein first and surrounding it with fresh veggies and fresh fruits. As far as how often I am splurging? I would say it really depends on what is going on around me. Guests over, I tend to eat a little more. By myself I have more control. But I guess I am splurging, on an average, maybe once a week. I love the concept of the diet and feel like it has worked I just need to constantly be on the alert. I do feel pretty satiated most of the time, but miss just living my life without having to think about it all the time. It has been a challenge changing your thought process when it come to food.

Sadie
05-26-2013, 09:50 AM
I love your honest post Fusian18. Thank you. Unfortunately our food supply requires us to remain more diligent when eating any foods that are processed or high in fat. Exercise allows us to be more lenient with our menu but until they fix our food supply the metabolism will constantly take a hit - like damp rags on a roaring fire. The slower the metabolism the more we store fat. I hear in the media a lot about how our food supply promotes obesity and I believe there is a mindset beginning to form around that concept of changing that. Until that occurs, diligence is going to be the watch word. The fact you are satiated and content with your regular food tends to help and allowing yourself to indulge is important for your mindset. However, that 2 pound rule still applies when we do.
Just so you know, your body does calm down after a while. Eventually, you will not be as sensitive to processed carbohydrates and you will find what works for you and your body.
All the best to you, Fusion18. I hope you will drop in on us more.

Debra Kern
05-26-2013, 01:17 PM
I just wrote a really nice, long response to Fusion18 and hit the wrong button and it's gone.
Suffice it to say that I understand where you are coming from.
I have a big sensitivity to nuts, so I don't have them or nut butters in the house.
I have a friend who meets me at the gym, 3 times per week, for 30 mins on the cross-trainer (VERY easy pace). Been doing that for 4+ years. If she ever quits, that'll be it for me. If she doesn't go, I know I won't go. Thank goodness for her.
I don't depend on exercise for any part of my weight control. I use only food and I am dedicated to it.
I hope you feel better soon and can walk some, though.

Sadie
05-27-2013, 08:01 AM
Debra, I hate it when that happens!!! I have done it so many times and lost the post. I was ready to throw my computer against the wall!
I am happy that you found a balance for your life. Exercise isn't for some people. I personally look forward to it but I know that isn't the case with all people.

moni232829
05-28-2014, 11:28 PM
Tomorrow I begin the Phase 4 stage! I'm very excited to be able to introduce more foods into my diet but I know I need to be careful and still watch what I eat and maintain my weight. I have managed to keep my weight between 1 to 1.5 lbs under my LDW and in all honesty am terrified every morning to get on the scale to see what it says. Not because I ate poorly the day before, but I'm just scared of putting on the weight again and seeing the numbers increase. But I still stand on it day after day and once I see the numbers maintain I get that celebratory smile on my face and do a little happy dance. So although I'm excited to introduce new foods into my diet, I am weary and frightened that the scale won't approve. Has anyone else had these anxieties?

Trotter1027
05-29-2014, 06:05 AM
Oh yes!! Ive done two rounds a few years ago and I remember having such anxieties getting on the scale on Phase 3, and 4. Being able to eat all that food, and new foods like cheese and nut butters....so scary. But surprisingly so easy. I maintained my weight as well on Phase 3, never had to do a lean or steak day. Wahoo!!
And good for you on maintaining. You will do great. Just stay on track and if and when you fall off the wagon correct it right away. Dont become a slave to the scale, enjoy your life, but correct fluctuations before they get out of hand....this is why a few years later I started a new round yesterday. I am P2D2 right now. :)

Sadie
05-29-2014, 06:19 AM
It can definitely be nerve-racking because of all the hard work you put in, in order to get to the point you are at now! Just slowly work in the new foods and you should do great! Let us know if you need anything!

Tiffany Reynolds Volkman
05-29-2014, 06:58 AM
It is nice to have some more options on P4, but I always remind myself that I can't/won't go to my old habits or I will also go back to my old weight. P4 is much more tricky. For me, I avoid all processed sugar, most grains, and potatoes. They make me gain. I found that honey and once a week popcorn are OK. So Delicious makes a coconut ice cream that is sweetened with erithritol that is amazing, and didn't affect the scale if I avoided things that turn to sugar before eating it (carbs). Using fitnesspal app or just writing in a notebook helps me play detective for the scale the next morning. Organicville makes honey sweetened peppermint patties for times we need a sweet treat. Good luck everyone, and may the scales be ever in our favor ;)

Tiffany Reynolds Volkman
05-29-2014, 07:04 AM
Wow, congrats! I fear the scale when I try new stuff too! And then add hormones, possible water retention, TOM, not enough sleep and who knows what other things affect and it's enough to pull our hair out! Good luck!

Tiffany Reynolds Volkman
05-29-2014, 07:05 AM
I love your honest post Fusian18. Thank you. Unfortunately our food supply requires us to remain more diligent when eating any foods that are processed or high in fat. Exercise allows us to be more lenient with our menu but until they fix our food supply the metabolism will constantly take a hit - like damp rags on a roaring fire. The slower the metabolism the more we store fat. I hear in the media a lot about how our food supply promotes obesity and I believe there is a mindset beginning to form around that concept of changing that. Until that occurs, diligence is going to be the watch word. The fact you are satiated and content with your regular food tends to help and allowing yourself to indulge is important for your mindset. However, that 2 pound rule still applies when we do.
Just so you know, your body does calm down after a while. Eventually, you will not be as sensitive to processed carbohydrates and you will find what works for you and your body.
All the best to you, Fusion18. I hope you will drop in on us more.

I love this, well said :)
I wish we had a like button!

moni232829
05-29-2014, 07:30 PM
I know this question is probably answered somewhere, but I'm the type of person that needs the answers given directly to me so here it goes…..When on P4 is it a good time to try white rice?

Sadie
05-30-2014, 06:21 AM
Hi Moni232829 - We would recommend waiting to introduce it until you reach the 2nd half of maintenance, where you are introducing sugars and starches. Start with 1/2 cup of cooked white rice and see how your body reacts to it over the next few days. If you did not experience any gain, then try it again. Your body will tell you when it's ready for these types of foods. Brown rice is a better option to stick with at first though. Start with whole grains then slowly work towards introducing more of the processed foods. If you have any other questions, please let us know!