1/4 cup flaxseed meal
1 Tablespoon ground cinnamon
3 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
2 3/4 cups milk
Optional toppings: raisins, walnuts, dark chocolate chips

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Mix eggs, vanilla, applesauce, banana and Stevia together in a bowl.
Add in oats, flax, cinnamon, baking powder, salt and mix well with wet ingredients.
Finally pour in milk and combine.
Spray 2 muffin tins (a 12 and 6 capacity - this recipe makes 18 muffins) with cooking spray or use cupcake liners (I also sprayed the liners themselves with cooking spray).
Pour mixture evenly into muffin tin cups (about 1/4 cup for each).
If using toppings add them onto the tops of muffins now. If using fresh or frozen fruit, drop it right into the batter.
Bake 30 minutes until a toothpick in center comes out clean. Cool and enjoy or freeze them in gallon freezer bags. Reheat in the microwave for 45-60 seconds.

Sadie
06-22-2012, 09:56 AM
Perez, this is definately for later on in Phase 4. The 3rd week would be best.

perez228
06-22-2012, 10:23 AM
Is that because of the oats? In a couple of days I'll be in week 3 so I'll wait.

nancybaggot
06-22-2012, 10:38 AM
Must be the applesauce, which is processed. The oats should be fine, flaxseed is fine, banana is fine. But I am definitely adding this one to my book...looks great.

Sadie
06-22-2012, 11:29 AM
No, the sugar is the issue; vanilla extract, chocolate chips. Adding sugar to fat is usually going to cause issues

perez228
06-22-2012, 12:07 PM
Okay that makes sense. I guess I wouldn't even put chocolate chips on anything like this - I'd go with the fruit and nuts. Also, there's only 1 tsp. of vanilla in 18 muffins - you're only getting a scant amount. I think I'll leave that out too.

nancybaggot
06-22-2012, 01:14 PM
I always use the liquid stevia to sweeten, since I have a fridge full of it.. If the recipe calls for vanilla, I use the vanilla cream stevia, which covers it. I did not realize that vanilla extract had sugar, though.

nancybaggot
06-22-2012, 01:24 PM
Linda, is the sugar/fat combination the main thing to be aware of as we move into life phase? So basically sweets and precessed foods? Doesn't the body recognize all sugars the same, whether it is a processed or natural or artificial form? What advice do you have for life phase?

Debra Sanchez
06-27-2012, 10:02 AM
Sugar is not a listed ingredient on my vanilla. Is it because vanilla has alcohol in it and turns to sugar in the body? Sounds like a good P4 recipe!

perez228
06-27-2012, 12:01 PM
These are wonderful.....my kids and I have been eating these for breakfast all week! I bought my vanilla from a health food store and it specifically states that it's sugar-free. I didn't know about vanilla having sugar in it either.

Sadie
06-27-2012, 11:31 PM
Vanilla has always caused issues in the past for clients, myself included. It seems the alcohol acts a sugar on the blood stream.
The sugar / fat combination seems to be very deadly to the body early on in Phase 4. It is going to take a couple of weeks into Phase 4 before the body is ready for a sugar fat combination from the grocery store.