PDA

View Full Version : Confused about protein intake

Debbiec
05-21-2012, 08:14 PM
Hi, I still have couple weeks until my phase 3 but I just want to be prepared. I was reading through posts and found myself becoming more and more confused. I have some questions and every answer and suggestion is much welcome and appreciated.
1. For the first 3 (4?) days of P3, I need large amount of protein (thus the 6-8oz/meal X3, 3 oz/snack X2). But how about after those 3 days? Do I eat the same amount of protein through out P3? If I can cut it down, what would be the appropriate amount?
2. Do I start to have 1 cup of whole milk from D1? I am lactose-sensitive, can I have the lactose-free one instead?
3. It looks like fat might be an issue for the first week. Can I wait until second week to start adding fats?
4. When adding fats like cheese, nuts, etc, how much ( oz or grams) is one serving?
5. 2 fruits are ok for P3. Again, what considers as one fruit? one grapdfruit? one orange, how about berries?
6. If I have a steak day, do I need to stay on P3 loner than 3 weeks before entering P4?
7. Same as #6, if I have a steak day on P4, can I still start my secone round right after 3 weeks on P4?

Lots of question I have. Thank you for your answering.
Good luck to everyone in our HCG diet journey.

Sadie
05-21-2012, 09:36 PM
#1 after the first few days you can back off of the protein but keep it as the major focus of your meals. When you cut down the protein 4-6 ounces is fine for a normal main meal serving. You want protein at each meal though.
#2 No to lactose free stuff - sorry. Can you try unsweetened Almond milk. No too much of that though.
#3 Yes
#4 fats are 2 tablespoon serving sizes max. Not too many fats in the day. Most of your menu should be protein, veggies & fruit
#5 One individual item or 4-5 small fruits like strawberries.
#6 No.
#7 Yes.

-JJ
06-11-2012, 06:04 AM
would hemp or coconut milk be an ok milk replacement? I know hemp is on the vegan VLCD list of approved foods

Sadie
06-11-2012, 10:06 AM
No. Sorry. There are no substitutes allowed.

whiteopal2012
06-11-2012, 05:04 PM
So for the first week of phase 3, we are allowed to eat all types of proteins such as chicken legs. For the exception of processed and ground meats. Correct? How about the protein shake? Is that also inclued in the protein category?

nancybaggot
06-11-2012, 06:22 PM
Chicken, beef, fish, lamb, veal, eggs, tuna are all OK...no pork or ground or processed, like lunchmeat, bacon, sausage, hotdogs. The protein shakes are OK after you complete protein loading, but for the first 3-5 days, you need animal proteins. I loved the protein shakes as snacks and sometimes even for dinner during P3. I maintain better if I eat my larger meals earlier in the day and keep dinner light. Greek yogurt and fruit is a great choice, too, after the first week.

perez228
06-12-2012, 07:36 AM
Nancy, you bring up an excellent point about eating your larger meals earlier in the day. I've been doing that all throughout Phase 3 and just eating very lightly at night and always before 6:00. I think that's why I've been able to maintain my LDW so well. Last night I decided I was going to try the pizza (with the almond flour crust). I ended up eating it too late (7:30-ish) and I know I ate too much of it. I've just missed pizza so much in these past few months I went a little overboard. Well the scale showed it this morning - I was up 1-1/2 pounds. I'm still right at my LDW because I had a little cushion to work with but today I have to get back to my regular routine. I start Phase 4 today and I might add in a different fruit today or I might just wait until tomorrow. Lesson definitely learned!!

nancybaggot
06-12-2012, 08:08 AM
I bet if you had the pizza for lunch rather than dinner, you would have been fine. I almost never eat past 6PM, either, but when it is unavoidable, I just know to expect a gain and go lean the next day. Sometimes that will do the trick without even a steak day. I just love the things we learn about our bodies when we truely take the time to listen. Good luck in P4...just remember to go slowly and recommeded to try first are half a banana, small potato, sweet potato, 1/2 cup brown rice or oatmeal or steel cut oats. See how your body reacts to the starches.

perez228
06-12-2012, 08:46 AM
That's my plan - I truly believe that Phase 3 was so successful because I went very slowly and added things in a little at a time. I bet you're right about eating the pizza for lunch - I eat a lot all day and I haven't seen a gain in a long time. It's the nighttime that gets you. Do you know how to cook steel cut oats? What can I mix into them to make them palatable?

nancybaggot
06-12-2012, 09:00 AM
I cook them just like I do oatmeal, just takes longer. I am not a real fan of them because of the texture, which is sort of chewy, but I add a little butter and milk and stevia and berries. I also made some in the crockpot with diced apples and cinnamon and cooked overnight and they were ready in the morning.

perez228
06-12-2012, 09:10 AM
I like the crockpot idea - so on Low overnight? I think I'll try that! Thanks!

nancybaggot
06-12-2012, 11:48 AM
I posted it on the P4 recipe thread. I have other friends who have substituted pumpkin for the apples, and other fruit as well. You can be creative and tweak the basic recipe to your liking. I just read an article about how much healthier the steel cuts oats are for you than oatmeal, so enjoy!!